OPA827, is it sonically comparable to OPA627?

I'm involved in evaluating two phono preamps sold by AE, one passive and the other passive/active, and making LTSpice simulations with them. I know LPs are rarely used anymore, but I wish to capture all my LP collection to digital.
I'm basically using the pcbs, part of the power supplies and some of the passive parts, as the circuit is all redesigned following designs published here in diyAudio one or two years ago. Both are opamps based designs.
With LTSpice I tried several opamps, bipolar and bifet ones. Due to my LTSpice knowledge limitations, for now I can only simulate THD, noise and frequency response. When I assemble the kits I will be able to swap and listen to several opamps, singles on one, dual on the other.

The OPA2107 has been added to my options for the dual opamp phono preamp, which is a passive design.

I have compared the original design, particularly with passive parts they were using, and it simulates a bit worst than the design proposed by Walt Jung on his book and which also is available on the Web.

The other preamp design started by an architecture proposed by Erno Borbely on discrete preamp project he published on the The Audio Amateur magazine. He presented the several designs commonly used for phono preamps: all active, all passive, active/passive and passive/active. Each versions had pros and cons, but the choose the last one for being the less compromised. It has also proven the one that simulated much better than all others.

Well, enough of this. I do not want to pirate this thread, which is is comparing the OPA627 with the OPA827, as well as other opamps.

Bought some IXTP01N100D a few weeks ago from Aliexpress. They tuned up in 2 weeks but all of them are fake. They are not even depletion mosfet despite of the correct laser printing . I wonder why PayPal does not ban Aliexpress.
Why would PayPal do this? There are scammers on all platforms.
Also, the problem often lies with the buyers. If components on Aliexpress are (significantly) cheaper than the prices for 100 or 1000 pieces at the official distributors, these buyers should turn on their brains. Nobody gives their stuff away and someone would have to pay the difference...

When I see that an OPA627 is only supposed to cost a few dollars, then something must be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why would PayPal do this? There are scammers on all platforms.
Also, the problem often lies with the buyers. If components on Aliexpress are (significantly) cheaper than the prices for 100 or 1000 pieces at the official distributors, these buyers should turn on their brains. Nobody gives their stuff away and someone would have to pay the difference...

When I see that an OPA627 is only supposed to cost a few dollars, then something must be wrong.
If some ones sells fake stuff on eBay and gets reported multiple times, this seller's eBay account including PayPal account surely will get suspended. That way innocent customers can get most protection. You don't blame guys over at Aliexpress selling fake product but do blame someone has no brain?

If some ones sells fake stuff on eBay and gets reported multiple times, this seller's eBay account including PayPal account surely will get suspended. That way innocent customers can get most protection. You don't blame guys over at Aliexpress selling fake product but do blame someone has no brain?
Let's be honest, since every manufacturer warns against counterfeit electronic components, what reason does someone have not to buy from an official dealer/distributor?

Yes, in this day and age I actually expect someone to use their brain.
There is a simple example of what keeps happening around the world. Someone offers you a car, bicycle, smartphone, etc. on the street at an unbelievably low price. If you buy this and get caught with what appears to be stolen goods, what do you think the chances are of being convicted? The judge will rightly doubt that you had no idea about illegality.

I have my own opinion on this because I've known about the problem for 40 years. Already in the 80s there were problems with counterfeit and relabeled CPUs and memory chips.
Over 95% of the time someone fell for it because it was cheaper to buy. The reason why someone sold it was always the same, someone wanted to make as much money as possible with little effort.

And unfortunately, it is also not that easy to recognize who is intentionally selling counterfeit components and which dealer has fallen for it himself.
This can also be seen from the fact that even local manufacturers fall for fake components.
Also on Amazon (just as an example) DIY amplifier modules are sold worldwide, in which a counterfeit chip is installed. But first, finally, prove it.

Of course it would be great if you could stop these sales permanently, but unfortunately you have to be realistic these days. The sale of counterfeit designer goods, car spare parts, PC/IT parts, lamps, tools, etc. has continued unabated for decades. It would be great to stop this.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder why PayPal does not ban Aliexpress.
Aliexpress is a platform, same as eBay. Should eBay/Aliexpress the platforms be banned (as you suggested) because there are dishonest sellers there? No. I have had very good luck buying from various vendors on Aliexpress, the only drawback there being long international shipping time.

In fact, if I were to buy audio gear of Chinese brands (e.g., DACs by Topping, which I highly recommend), I would trust the vendor's store on Aliexpress than some random seller here on eBay or Amazon.

Aliexpress is a platform, same as eBay. Should eBay/Aliexpress the platforms be banned (as you suggested) because there are dishonest sellers there? No. I have had very good luck buying from various vendors on Aliexpress, the only drawback there being long international shipping time.

In fact, if I were to buy audio gear of Chinese brands (e.g., DACs by Topping, which I highly recommend), I would trust the vendor's store on Aliexpress than some random seller here on eBay or Amazon.
Aliexpress is not the same as eBay when it comes to customer service. Recently I bought a pair of LinLai 6SL7 but both of them were very noisy. Contacted seller and agreed to return for refund but Seller does not want to pay return postage. Then Ali customer service says seller has to pay. Ok, I just sent it back. About 2 weeks late, tracking number showed return has been delivered. I then asked the seller when can you issue refund? seller just say ok ok, but never answered me anything else. I went to Ali customer service for help. I was told that seller has 30 days to confirm receiving of delivery. That is to say I have to wait up to 30 days, and if seller does not confirm after 30 days, I will have to ask service desk for help again. What a crap ! here is the message I have from the customer service:

"Please wait for the seller to confirm the item first the seller has 30 calendar days to confirm the delivery from the date you have returned the item. You can wait patiently about it while you are protected here. As long as the seller/warehouse confirms your returned item and received. You may get your refund money."

Lucky, I paid my purchase with PayPal and I will definitely ask PayPal to step in and see.

Depends on who a platform's customer should be, right? Aliexpress appears to be more protective of the sellers, who are paying customers of the platform. You are a customer of the seller that you buy from. ebay's anti-seller policy is not without controversy -- I bought and sold on eBay, and I know it well.