Need help with chassis layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the dual mono LM3886 Dual Mono Kit from chipamp.com.

I have two Avel Lindberg (Y236503) transformers from parts express.

I have a chassis that measures roughly 15x15 inches internally.

I'm not sure the best way to layout the chassis. I want to use the existing holes if possible, but will drill new ones on the back if necessary.

• The RCA inputs are on either side of the back panel.
  • The Speaker binding posts are just offset of center with grounds in the middle
  • The IEC connector is just below the right-hand side RCA Jack
  • The fuse holder is just below the right-hand side binding posts
Please comment on the attached diagram that is very close to scale.
  • The Yellow and Green lines represent how I plan to route the AC input wires.
  • I did not include the wires to connect AC to the transformers, but will most likely use some sort of terminal block.
  • I did not include the secondary wires from the transformers to the power supply board because I think it is pretty obvious.
  • I did not include the wires from the power supply boards to the amplifier boards because I think it is pretty obvious.
  • The purple wires represent the inputs from the RCA jacks to the amplifier boards (I know there will really be two wires).
  • The red and black wires represent the outputs from the amplifier boards to the speaker binding posts.
Does this look like a good layout and routing of wires? Should I be
concerned by the AC running under the channel on the right? Can you suggest a better way or routing the wires? Would I be better off mounting both amplifier boards on the left-hand heat sink and placing the transformers on the right? I could drill a new hole for an RCA jack on the left.

Thanks for your help. This is my first time building a chip amp and first time building any amp solo.

Attachments

• 3886dualmono.gif
    3886dualmono.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 495
Hi Bluegti,

I'm laying out an amp at the moment. It's a pair of Hypex UcD400 with one large 500va Trafo and a pair of power supply boards. Iv'e had it sitting on the bench for days and have been rearranging components a bit like playing chess. I think I nearly have the best configuration.

Usual practise where amp modules is concerned is to separate them as far apart as possible so that you don't get the heat from each module contributing to the other.

With the wiring try to make sure that power, speaker and signal wires are separate and not touching. It's good to use shielded microphone cable on the signal wire if you have any. If not twist them together. I don't think the power cable going under a module will cause any distortion, just don't have it touching. It is also good practise to keep power cables going from the supply to the modules as short as possible.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.