gainclone cap options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new. Sorry about that.

So I've ordered the gainclone pcb set from audiosector.com. I've bought some lovely tantalum and riken resistors. Kind of stuck for the caps though.

Any thoughts?? I don't want to use the panny ones, and am having trouble finding ones that look appropriate. I'm not too good at the maths needed so I don't know what the lee-way is from 1500pico farads and 50v.

Any thoughts? What are the min and max specifications for the big and little caps there?

again, sorry for my ignorance. I searched the forum for a pre-existing answer but it's narry impossible to wade through a forum this deep. Every thread seems to have 600 replies!

raypalmer said:
I'm new. Sorry about that.

So I've ordered the gainclone pcb set from audiosector.com. I've bought some lovely tantalum and riken resistors. Kind of stuck for the caps though.

Any thoughts?? I don't want to use the panny ones, and am having trouble finding ones that look appropriate. I'm not too good at the maths needed so I don't know what the lee-way is from 1500pico farads and 50v.

Any thoughts? What are the min and max specifications for the big and little caps there?

again, sorry for my ignorance. I searched the forum for a pre-existing answer but it's narry impossible to wade through a forum this deep. Every thread seems to have 600 replies!

Problem: The low component count amplifier is highly reliant on component selection for its performance.

So, because you'll want a baseline, you'll need exactly the recommended components, including resistors, caps, transformer, wire, etc. . . because it is necessary to have a place to start in order to get anywhere.

And, after experiencing that baseline, then you can change it however you like.
The documented baseline is necessary, otherwise one could get quite lost.
Given approximately 2 to 10 months and a generous budget, one could probably reproduce what has already been done, with more or less success.
But, why re-invent the wheel?

Okay, I have to laugh at myself right now. I did manufacture a new sort of bicycle racing wheel last summer, only to discover that it was a slightly lighter version of the 1978 hi-lo set. SO, while re-inventing the wheel can be fun, its not a recommendable use of finances.

Possible answers to your question:
Nichicon FW or Blackgate "may" be alternatives to the Panasonic. But, there's no way to know unless you have previously experienced the amplifier's performance as it was intended to be used.

What you were looking for:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=715485#post715485

raypalmer said:
. . . 1500pico farads and 50v.
. . .

The range for gainclone style's power caps is 1000uF to 2200uF, with 1500uF being a centerpoint value.
See attached chart.
EDIT: Even with the chart, sometimes I still manage to order the wrong cap. I just keep them and assume that I'll use them someday.

Attachments

• capchart.jpg
    capchart.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 218
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.