The new "My Ref" Rev C thread

pinkfloyd4ever said:

220 VAC input transformer WITH CL60 thermistor..

Attachments

• 220 input with cl60 pwr supply.jpg
    220 input with cl60 pwr supply.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 650
samsagaz said:
Someone know why the resistor are burned after a few seconds?
You mean R11, right? It sits between 0V and GND. It's 1/4W. So a large voltage/high current could do it. I can't say for sure, but this definitely sounds like a short. If the chip wasn't insulated then the heatsink was at -35V. You touch that to ground... If the path went across that resistor that would do it. But this is all speculation on my part.

peter

A little OT, but still relevant.
So, what is everyone listening to on your new rigs? I don't know about you but I always find myself digging out all my old favorites to listen to, especially when it is an upgrade to the previous equipment. I have yet to build my Rev Cs yet as I promised myself I would complete other projects first, one being a Millett Hybrid headphone amp. That's what started the whole listening thing for me. I have become a headphone hermit, but cannot wait until I get my Rev Cs up.
What I have been listening to is several live shows that really seem to show off the capabilities of my system. I would like to offer these recordings to anyone who would like a copy. They are legally tradeable as the bands allow taping and trading as long as there is no profit involved in any way.
Here is what I have to offer.
1) John Mayer, two nights at the Webster Hall, NYC 12-28,29-2004, a remarkable live recording a tad bit of screaming but superior sonics. This is his smokin' blues power trio tour similar to his album Try, and not what you would expect to hear from him.
2) Acoustic Hot Tuna, The Ram's Head Tavern, Annapolis, MD 12-11-2002. Jack Cassidy and Jorma Kaukonen, the "Original Acoustic Hot Tuna" These guys are legend, way back from the original Jefferson Airplane and all through the years. This beautiful soundboard copy captures them so well. Jack's signature bass crunches and Jourma's complex acoustic guitar blend and weave some truly magnificent stuff. This will show your system off for sure.
3) The Grateful Dead Hartford Civic Center, 5-28-1977 arguably one of the Dead's finer moments, captured on a great soundboard, in all their glory. This should really show off sound staging, bass and highs. I can even sense different heights in the vocals as well as left to right presentation of the sound stage, the slam of the kick drums is clear, I could go on...

I know I am rambling but I wanted to share this with my fellow Rev C folks as well as anyone else who would like to listen to this great stuff. The way we do it is called a B&P; send me a blank DVD or CDs with return postage so it will only cost me the time it takes to make the copies. I will send you what I have written about or whatever else I have and trades are welcome as long as they are legally tradeable.
PM me for more info.
Enjoy the music!
Bill

schro20 said:

You mean R11, right? It sits between 0V and GND. It's 1/4W. So a large voltage/high current could do it. I can't say for sure, but this definitely sounds like a short. If the chip wasn't insulated then the heatsink was at -35V. You touch that to ground... If the path went across that resistor that would do it. But this is all speculation on my part.

peter

yes R11, a shor where? im using an TF Version of the LM3886 that i have at home! really dont know what happend, i changed that resistor and now the relay dont works, just make the connection when i turn the amp off :(

samsagaz said:
Here i post the pictures, hope the quality will be enough :)

editing the pics because are too big

With the TF package there is no need for the insulator between it and the HS.

I will copy your pic and compare it side by side with mine for lunch.

Well the picks were there and plenty goo enough, but now they are gone.. Please repost.

C9 & C21 Caps comparison

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My last post on caps test had no comments but when I start something usually I try to finish it... :D

I've tested all caps in the photo (C9 and C21 positions) and from last post a lot has changed.

C21 position:

- MKP1837 is not the best cap here (it could be for the value, 10nF), too much highs
- Evox-Rifa MMK is not the best too, soundstage is significantly smaller, and sounds harsh
- AVX BQ (like the ones in kits but 100nF) soundstage is even smaller than MMKs but sound is smoother
- Wima MKS2 sounds good,dynamic and involving, it's smooth and has a wide and deep soundstage

C9 position:

- Rubycon ZL here is rubbish
- Panasonic FM is quite good, dinamyc and involving, but has a bit of harshness and basses are a bit bloating
- Nichicon KW is quite good, less harshness than FMs but also less dynamic and a bit confused
- Elna Silmic II (with 40 Hours burn-in) are smooth, with the widest and deepest soundstage, a bit more dynamic than FMs with a stronger and firmer bass. In comparison with KWs and FMs highs are less but I wouldn't call them veiled, IMHO Silmic's tonal balance is more correct.

I hope that this could be useful to someone. :checked:

I'm still asking myself why TP swapped MKS2s with BQs...:scratch:

C9 and C21

Dear Dario,

than you for posting your observations. Why are C9 and C21 so important? I would expect C13 to be the most important...

I will try your experiments. But first I have to build a second set (I need to compare back and forth otherwise I can't tell what's going on). But before I do that, I have to put together a nice case for my first set... You'll get a kick out of this: I ordered one of those cases you used. I happened to be in Germany last weekend and had them mail it to me there and then took it back in my luggage. Did you use any more heatsinking than just the side walls themselves?

peter

Dario,

Thanks for the capacitor testing results. You put those sockets to good use!

Do the C9 Elna's fit onto the board without too much trouble? It's hard to tell their relative size from your photo. They look to be similar size to the FM's.

Have you decided on a C13? I put a 1.5uf Bennic metalized poly cap in there, and it sounds a bit dull with loose bass. I have some other caps on order now.

Peace,
Tom E

well, i will drop the boards to the trash, im really deseseperated, 4 Boards Build 1 works 3 NO :(

Btw, have any others in stock i will purchase another kit if have some in stock, i really dont want to still burning and broken components (removing it from the PCB), i will purchase more if have in stock and will try to get better luck next time.

Im really not good removing components i already ****** up 1 transistor, 1 Zener, 1 LM3886

Re: Re: C9 & C21 Caps comparison

schro20 said:
than you for posting your observations. Why are C9 and C21 so important? I would expect C13 to be the most important...
I ordered one of those cases you used.
Did you use any more heatsinking than just the side walls themselves?

C9 and its bypass(C21) are in the feedback loop so they're directly in the signal path. C13 is also directly in the signal path but it could be removed if you DC couple... and could be a film type too...

You'll find that the side walls of the case are more than enough. :cool:

With my Gainclone modules the side walls was cold, with MyRef they get warm (ca 42°C/107.6°F) in a room temperature of 20°C/68°F.

marc brown said:
Well, they are 1/5 the price. :xeye:

:bawling:

madisonears said:
Do the C9 Elna's fit onto the board without too much trouble? It's hard to tell their relative size from your photo. They look to be similar size to the FM's.

Have you decided on a C13? I put a 1.5uf Bennic metalized poly cap in there, and it sounds a bit dull with loose bass. I have some other caps on order now.

The Elnas are 5mm lead spacing and 12,5mm diameter vs 5mm ls and 10mm dia of the FMs

In the attached picture you could see how a 12,5mm cap fits.

Attachments

• c9.png
    c9.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 521