The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - Page 86 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2009, 10:40 PM   #851
Bengali is offline Bengali  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry, Dario. I should have stated that it was my opinion, not as a fact. I certainly value all of your insights and your thorough testing procedures, and I have successfully implemented some of your recommendations, such as removing bypasses. Nor did I mean to imply that my opinions have any more validity than yours. However, I am somewhat frustrated that I have been sharing my experiments here but everyone seems to refer to you as the expert. It just pisses me off that my impressions are disregarded, but that certainly isn't your fault.

I don't know why the person who sent me the e-mail did not post his impressions here. He did opine that the Elna's were not a good substitute for FM's, but I don't know if he tried that smaller bypass you prescribe to cure them of their smothering characteristics. You are correct to state that I did not try it in that configuration. However, these are only opinions, and all builders are encouraged to experiment for themselves.

I guess that's the main point, and our findings and opinions, yours and mine alike, should be considered as only a starting point.

I wish others would post their impressions. There is no penalty for disagreeing here, and we all appreciate different configurations and points of view. What ever happened to the guy who said he was going to try some kind of cap substitute circuit with lots of different caps?

Friends again, Dario?

Peace,
Tom E

Hi Tom,

sorry about your frustration. I don't think people are ignoring you.
I did request the silmic's from you and have posted my feedback previously.

Before I sold the my ref unit, I did a bunch of coupling cap comparisons.
Using your silmics, nichicon muse, panasonic fm, k42y PIO's. I did
do some of the mods like replacing the avx's with the wimas.

I honestly I could hear much of a difference between the electrolytic
caps. The k42y pio opens up the sound some more, that's about it.
I've tried DC coupling as well. In summary, in my set up with my speakers, amp and preamp, the sound was overly bright(way to crisp) for music. for H.T. it was fine.

I still have a set of boards and may re-visit it once again. It all comes
down to your own system and whether one cap sounds better or not
is really up to the listener.

we are all in it together to learn a thing or to and have some fun!

Old 31st August 2009, 10:41 PM   #852
diyAudio Member

sorry for the typo, 'I honestly I could hear much of a difference between the electrolytic caps. '

meant to say, I could NOT hear much difference.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:38 AM   #853
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

I must say that I have a stock units as put together by Peter and Uriah with the nice toroids that Uriah found and I love the way it sounds as is. I use it with a sub and NHT Super Ones in a nearfield setup. The imaging is excellent with nice resolution and natural timber.
I have a very revealing preamp in the wings that I hope to have finished in the next few weeks. After it settles in to my system I am looking forward to trying some of the suggestions put forth here as I am sure that I will be able to hear the differences.
Definitely going for an upgrade to C13, and am open to suggestions for resistors that are in the signal path.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:58 AM   #854
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The imaging is excellent with nice resolution and natural timber.
that's good to hear. the person I sold the unit to said it sounded great in his system.

I think my issue is I had the mmg's at the time and it was most likely not a good match for them. probably sounds fine as you mentioned with standard cone drivers.

if I build another set, I'll post some feedback on the various caps.
might as well ignore my previous cap feedback since with planars, the
sound was not too impressive.
Old 1st September 2009, 01:13 AM   #855
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

I won't expect the Rev_C to have enough "oomph" for planars.. I would think a much more dynamic and powerful amp would be required there.

Edit, Notice I didn't say "better" or "higher quality".. Only larger more with more headroom
Old 1st September 2009, 01:20 AM   #856
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Bengali,
I have some Adcom GFA-565s that will throw those MMGs through the wall if you want to try
I agree that they were probably just not a good match with the MMGs. They need heavy duty amps to work at their best.
Ri
Old 1st September 2009, 01:44 AM   #857
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I think that you don't want to push these amps. They do play nice and loud but I rarely listen loud, that and combining with a sub so that they don't have to work hard. I think that is how I get the wonderful noise out of them, good source helps too though.
I guess I will need to find an active x-over now for the new pre. so I can use the sub. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 1st September 2009, 02:01 AM   #858
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Marchand XM-1's are cheap, work VERY well and are DIY!!

http://www.marchandelec.com/xovers.html
Old 1st September 2009, 03:27 AM   #859
diyAudio Member

you guys are great!

I had the mini Aleph running the mmg's and it sounded very nice.

I took a detour and went the HT route for now. bought an emotiva xpa-5.
The Adcom you have is a powerhouse! I'm on the west coast so
shipping is a killer, thanks for the offer! very generous of you.

I'm slowly working on an Aleph J.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:23 AM   #860
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Tom, I've read your advice as well and I thank you as well as one of the thread contributor (I said that didnt I? ). When I say I will follow Dario's advice, I mean the one that he posted a list of the recommended mod, the agreed and the controversial ones. I surely remember your advice about the silmics vs fm. When I try them, I will give my impression here.

But I think mostly are agreeing that the high is a bit 'over'. Its not harsh, or 'bad' its just 'more' than to my liking. I agree as well that the bass is 'less'. it sounds detailed, tight, but 'less'. This is why I would like to try out different caps. This is an excellent amp in any way, btw, what I said is purely my opinion.

What is the critical resistor that's in the signal path definitely should be upgraded?

Hide this!Advertise here!