The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2008, 05:06 PM   #11
frog993 is offline frog993  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
There is yet another alternative.
Keep the parallel bass/mids and design a parallel chipamp to drive the combined 4ohm load. Each chipamp sees an effective 8ohm load and is designed as such. This is my least favoured solution.

Its possible to parallel the RefC ? If have ordered 2 complete monokits and 2 PCBs in the groupbuy. So i can build 4 monoamps.
I dont want design a new amp, i only want to know what is the best middleway of secondary rating for the RefC and my speakers.

To throw away one bassdriver is no solution for me. And yes all of the WS3BF are the same.

Udo
Old 13th December 2008, 05:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have no problem with my REV_C with 4 ohms speaker system, both a 4 ohms full range and a dual 6" tower of course at 4 ohms.

I am not sure did Andrew talking about most general chip amp, or exactly about the REV_C, since be honest, I have to say thanks since Andrew did tried to solve my questions in some threads, but he seems always considering the solutions at very general situations, so most of his advises never suit my case.

So frog, did you test and hear problem from REV_C match with your speakers? Or you "think" there might be problem base on papers?
Old 13th December 2008, 06:20 PM   #13
frog993 is offline frog993  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So frog, did you test and hear problem from REV_C match with your speakers? Or you "think" there might be problem base on papers?
I only want to know wich transformer works at best with the RefC and 4ohm speakers. I have joined in by the actually groupbuy of the RefC and need a transformer for this amp.
I dont want to buy a transformer that not works with my amp/speaker combination or blow away the LM.

What transformer are you using ?

Greets Udo
Old 13th December 2008, 06:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am using two 225VA transfomer order from farnell:
http://hk.farnell.com/multicomp/ti-0...25v/dp/4334723
One for each channal.

Actually 1xxVA per channal already fine, but I want this encapsulated type, the choice from Farnell is either 80VA or 225VA, plus I want better channal seperation, so I forced to use 2 x 225VA, if you go for one transformer, a 300VA will be more then just enough for stereo.

I am not sure have you read all single post in the original REV_C thread, I did, and I did remeber Mauro did told, he already optimum his design for not really impedance sensitive such as at 4 ohms loading.
Old 17th December 2008, 02:26 PM   #15
widman is offline widman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Potential Potentiometers

I'm planning to use a potentiometer at input for volume control. I'm considering the following options:

Precision

Alps

Any opinions on these or other suggestions?

pete
Old 17th December 2008, 06:36 PM   #16
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Potential Potentiometers

Quote:
Originally posted by widman
I'm planning to use a potentiometer at input for volume control. I'm considering the following options:
Any opinions on these or other suggestions?
Mauro suggests a 10KOhm potentiometer, parts you'd linked are 25KOhm...

I've read yesterday on the italian forum audiofaidate.it that Alps blue line of potentiometer are not in the same league of MyRef.
Old 17th December 2008, 06:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I can get NOS 10K Noble if anyone want, it cost USD25/pc, but shipping cost maybe a matter.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noble.jpg (20.2 KB, 4244 views)
Old 17th December 2008, 07:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Potential Potentiometers

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaveFremen

Mauro suggests a 10KOhm potentiometer, parts you'd linked are 25KOhm...

I've read yesterday on the italian forum audiofaidate.it that Alps blue line of potentiometer are not in the same league of MyRef.
Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that a 25K was appropriate for the amp. The Precision pot also comes in 10K, so I may try that one.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:00 PM   #19
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

This one seems nice and with reasonable cost:

DACT Type 23 Stepped Attenuator Potentiometer 10K

Or if you really want the original:

Original DACT 10K

PS

The 'precision' potenziometer with 10% tolerance is no so precise, IMHO
Old 18th December 2008, 11:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the links. The "Type 23" is the same price as the Precision potentiometer. The only question will be how it fits in my chassis.

pete

Hide this!Advertise here!