The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - Page 124 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2011, 03:35 PM   #1231
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Madisonears,

I'm using a socket for the LM318 and the LM318 as supplied in the ultimate BOM kit.

PJN
Old 26th March 2011, 08:16 PM   #1232
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Shelby-

Most agree the TF version is more user friendly. In this application both work, just one is definitely more convenient.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:56 PM   #1233
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Most agree the TF version is more user friendly.
I do agree.
Old 27th March 2011, 01:00 PM   #1234
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I think I am at or near "burn-in" of my linuxguru V1.3 amps. The impression is a general "mellowing" and increased cohesiveness with slightly reduced edginess in the mid-range (which I had interpreted as "presence") and a bit less "sparkle" at the very top.

I am interested in the subjective descriptions/impressions of the veterans on this forum of what is heard at full burn-in, if you care to share.

Haven't put the Sonicaps in these two yet as I'd like to be able to hear the full effect of the change.

Regards, Bob M.

Last edited by bcmbob; 27th March 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:30 PM   #1235
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I think I am at or near "burn-in" of my linuxguru V1.3 amps. The impression is a general "mellowing" and increased cohesiveness with slightly reduced edginess in the mid-range (which I had interpreted as "presence") and a bit less "sparkle" at the very top.
It's consistent with burn-in of C1, C2 (Muse KZ). I must confess that I haven't actually auditioned the exact combination of caps that are on your boards (C1, C2:Muse KZ, C6, C11: Cerafine and C9: Black Gate PK), but in general the KZs have short burn-in periods (~10-25 hours) and the Black Gate has much longer burn-in (~100-300 hours). I don't know about the Cerafines.
Old 27th March 2011, 10:24 PM   #1236
diyAudio Member

If the "edge" is off, then you're part way there. The Blackgates do take the longest, other than a Mundorf SIO cap: maybe more than a hundred hours. The one thing that should continue to improve with additional break-in is the sense of space, three dimensionality of images. Things will open up, there should be more air, and bass might get a little more forceful as the Blackgate settles.

Good idea to hold off on the Sonicaps. They will change a lot in the span of a single CD, and continue to slightly improve for another few dozen hours.

Peace,
Tom E
Old 29th March 2011, 08:12 PM   #1237
weskoki is offline weskoki  Europe
diyAudio Member

After 250 hours this amp continues to improve.The mundorf input caps are really funny because at 200 hours they kinda lost some bass and now the bass is huge!There's still bit of brightness and dryness in the upper mids but i gess it's the Panny FC
Old 30th March 2011, 05:03 AM   #1238
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by weskoki View Post
There's still bit of brightness and dryness in the upper mids but i gess it's the Panny FC
Yup, go with a Panny FM, Elna Silmic/Silmic II/Cerafine or a Nichicon Muse FG for C6/C11. They're less edgy out of the box, and either have short burn-in periods or don't require burn-in.
Old 30th March 2011, 02:23 PM   #1239
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Panasonics have a burn in of a few days. I heard it happen once. Its not this slow thing that happens over time. It takes time to finally happen but its pretty dramatic.
Old 7th April 2011, 06:48 PM   #1240
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jaw Dropping!

Hey Madisonears, et al.

Ok, Ok, I believe you.

I just couldn’t wait any longer so I put the Blackgates (220uf 16V) and the Sonicaps (Gen 1, 1.5uf 200V) in my V1.3 boards from Siva. I really had not expected what you described as “more space and a larger stage” The best way I can describe the difference after one hour is, with some source material, my listening room is now one giant set of headphones. I was very happy with the quality and amount of sound before I upgraded these two components. I am not exaggerating when I say I now feel I was listening through ear muffs and not ear phones. In my thirty years of speaker building and amp buying/building, I have often heard something like “removes a veil or opens a window”. This is the first time I have experienced that change with jaw dropping clarity.

I am so glad I took your advice to wait a good period of time before making the change. It is clearly dramatic. You made a home run call on the Sonicaps.

I also got some of the Vampire parts I need for the final in-case build in the mail yesterday. I went with the lugs this time for as solid a connection as I can get.

Some initial impressions:

1. The bass is slightly more robust, but more importantly has increased impact without any boom.
2. The midrange again has a balanced impact and tonal accuracy that when combined with the bottom end imparts a physical element to the whole experience.
3. The upper octaves can only be described as shimmering and precise.
4. That often overused phrase “the walls of the room seem to disappear” truly describes the impression I am hearing.

A note of caution – I have heard some folks say the Ref-Cs are good but not all that much better than some other LM3886 designs. I don’t think one can appreciate these amps without some very good and accurate (not necessarily expensive) speakers. I feel very fortunate to have chosen to build a pair of Paul Carmody’s “SunFlower” speakers a few months ago. Surely the open back concept therein contributes to the "spacial" delights of this combination. Paul has even developed a new crossover that brings some of the advantages of single point source designs to his already remarkable body of work. I am sure there a many, many other great speakers – my point is – try not to underestimate the need for speakers of the same quality as that of the MyRef-Cs.

My gratitude to all of you, especially the veterans, for leading me to and through this fantastic journey.

Regards, Bob M.

P.S. To you fellow NASCAR fans, another way to describe what I heard today is kind of what racing would be like without those silly restrictor plates.

Hide this!Advertise here!