Best replacement for black gate 100uF N 50v cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recieved new from partsconnexion that they have sold out of black gate N 100uF 50v caps. This is very unfortunate as I was planning to build a parallel version of Peter Daniels gainclone (using his pcbs). I have a stereo version up and running and it is wonderful with the BG N caps - they were a big improvement to the standard panasonics supplied in the kit. Now I can't source similar parts and it seems that I will have to build a parallel version using other caps. It is rather frustrating that BG are discontinued as they really have improved the sound in my alephs, preamp and my DAC...

Are there any caps that have similar sonics to the BG N cap?

Would parallelling a BG standard with a smaller value of BG N or film cap be a good approach?

Would it be possible to use 70uF instead of 100uF? As in one very big film cap. (so long for the small enclosure)

Thanks for any answers.

Thanks for the answers. Would the Rubycons be any good as a replacement for the BG N in Peter Daniels gainclone? Perhaps I should give them a test, maybe a few different values and parallelled with some MKPs...

It seems strange that Black gate N series are so superior to everything else on the market, but then again the market can't be that good as they stopped production.

I also have a few Simens sikorel 2200uF laying about, I think I'll try the cans just to see the effect they have on the sonics. I've understood that the magic of the midrange will most likely disapear with 2200uF, but why not. While I'm at it I'll bypass them with some fancy foil caps and see if this does anything.

Test the Rubycon's to see if the can is isolated from the inside, if it is try this like in the picture, wire around the cans grounding them. It removes the induced charge and causes more filtering (much smoother sound which is what the Rubycon's have been criticized for).

ampmod1.jpg

Those are type N's in the picture and have to admit they sound amazing.

They do not come in as many sizes though.

It all depends on application. Low impedance if you do it right is amazing for power, lots of filter capability, check out my pre-amp board,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

However some areas are so rich with problems so low ESR might be the ticket. If the area has a lot of heat low ESR is a better choice. If you are running just one large capacitor for a heavy load it might be a better choice.

Also the FC in order to have lower ESR will be wider, at least that would be the best way to achieve it.

ESR is a measurement of resistance but it is based off of in-phase AC resistance. It in large part is the quality of a capacitor but mostly in terms of heat and time to failure. The lower the ESR the lower the resistance so less heat dissipation and the more accurate it is in the on-paper schematic plan.

That is my understanding.

With impedance I would guess the lower it is the bigger the bandwidth is of filtration. The the filtering range is the impedance and up from there, so the lower the better (but not 1 to 1). I could be very wrong but I think it works something like that and the more capacitance the lower the impedance. (every time you double capacitance you cut impedance in half)

trust your ears!

Well as destroyer said " Post #16
Well whatever the case I suppose what sounds better to the ear is most important, play with different caps".

I used 10,000uf 63v ELNA cap per channel on power supply and 1000uf 50v Black gate caps x2 on IC(LM3875).
I have try many caps values and so far I am happy and keeping this values.as you can see,there are many people that like hefty power supply and some that use small caps value like 4.7uf or 10uf etc,etc...and about the brand if you can not use black gate caps use Panasonic FM caps,I try them and they are good.:cheers:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BrianDonegan said:
FMs are typically smaller and cheaper

Well you had me doubting myself on this one Brian - so I went back and checked.

You were right! :xeye:

The FMs are generally a little less expensive and smaller (or the same size) as the FC series. I wonder if the pricing has changed or I just remember it wron?.

In any case - I still like them - whatever the size and cost. They seem to be always lower impedance than the FC.

I've used them in a lot of Tripath amps and heard them used in chip amps and tube amps. They always seem to do well. The Elna caps, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.