Which one of these chips sound better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

It is known that different AMPs have different sounds. I have in mind three chips: TDA1514, TDA7294 and LM3875.

In this respect I have some queries.
Firstly, I have to build an amp to drive a 4 ohm subwoofer with an output of 60W RMS down to -3db of 35 Hz. I do realise I need a chip with high damping factor but this is missing in the datasheets.

My second use would be for bi-amped two way speakers for 5.1 as well as Rock music. I do realise that the tweter can be powered by a smaller amp due to its more than double sensitivity but I prefer the same chips for both the amps. That way I can drive them with a common transformer.
For this case I do not mind considering discrete designs too. Links to any proven discrete designs would be a great help (Apart from specs it should be proven one in listening tests). I am not looking at more than 60W of undistorted power(well, almost)

Thanks in advance.
Goldy

Yes, Vivek is right. TDA 7293 is best among all. But i will prefer to use LM3886. TDA 3875 is not for power u r looking for. In TDA 7294 i found lot many defective IC's. My friend making pro equipment was using TDA 7294 but now has standardised on LM 3886. He is extremely happy with it. It is very difficult to hear the difference beetween two high quality IC's.
Mahendra Palesha

I prefer OPA541AM or LM12CLK.
I have some 2 LM12 bridged and they work for some years. Only 2 resistors, 2 caps and 1 inductor.
You mount the LM12 in the heatsink and solder the componente right there!
Soon I'll post here pics of my amplifier.
For bass, they are just fine.
The problem is just one: the price. About 50€!

palesha said:
Yes, Vivek is right. TDA 7293 is best among all. But i will prefer to use LM3886. TDA 3875 is not for power u r looking for. In TDA 7294 i found lot many defective IC's. My friend making pro equipment was using TDA 7294 but now has standardised on LM 3886. He is extremely happy with it. It is very difficult to hear the difference beetween two high quality IC's.
Mahendra Palesha

what do you mean in deffective TDA7294? totally non working, or working badly?

PS: if I remember correctly, the TDA7293 has slightly more distorsion

Dear Bricolo,
My friend made a jig to test TDA 7294 before putting in the circuit. He got almost 50% of the IC's defective from the supplier. The ic's were showing dc offset in the test jig mostly, hence rejected. Now he is happy with use of LM 3886. He says that he is not able to find any sound difference beetween them.
Mahendra Palesha

About you commenting on the tweets sensitivity. If the set up is using passive xovers then the amp will drive to the same level but dissapate the extra power thru the L pad or attenuative resistor, so you would need the same power. However if this is an active set up and you reduce the gain to the amp thats a different matter entirely.

audioPT said:
I prefer OPA541AM or LM12CLK.
I have some 2 LM12 bridged and they work for some years. Only 2 resistors, 2 caps and 1 inductor.
You mount the LM12 in the heatsink and solder the componente right there!
Soon I'll post here pics of my amplifier.
For bass, they are just fine.
The problem is just one: the price. About 50€!

audioPT

If you don't mind can you share with us the schematics of your LM12CLK ?

I have a few of those IC maybe I can use your schematic to build an amp.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.