Need your opinion, how small gain can I use with LM3886 (how close to "flat amp")?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need your opinion, how small gain can I use with LM3886 (how close to "flat amp")?

I need a good opinion on how little (small) gain I can use with lm3886 and still be able to use its full power?

I'd like to do an experiment that involves much more input, much less gain. If I use the minimum gain of 10, would I be overdriving the input before the LM3886 is producing its 68 watts? If so, how much gain do I need in order to stay out of trouble?

Thanks!

This one for example has a gain = 3.
--------------------------------------------------
Sorry, I was simulating and did not notice your new posts. I'll post tommorow what you need.

Attachments

• lm3886_gain_3.gif
    lm3886_gain_3.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 816
Mykola said:
I do not understand why the gain is so high. I think it will work better if you make a buffer-inverter with a gain about 7-10 and maximum output voltage about 10, and will not use your headphone amp for LM3886.

The gain is available from 10 to 48. The gain is high because the source is a digital VCA, which is approximately half of line level.

EDIT: The gain can be reduced at the predrive; however, the "total" amplifier does need from 45 to 48.

danielwritesbac said:

The gain is available from 10 to 48. The gain is high because the source is a digital VCA, which is approximately half of line level.
I would make a buffer-inverter with gain about 7-10, then inverted LM3886 with gain about 3. In this case you can connect it to any regular source or to your headphone amp. Also it would have a very low distortions. I guess AD8067could be a good choice for the buffer-inverter.
If you would like to go with headphone amp with no buffer-inverter, I think you need LM3886 gain about 6-10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.