Lm1876

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Has anyone used this chip to build a stereo amp?
Is it 2 x LM1875 in one package? It has similarities.

If you have used it how does it sound?
and does anyone have a PCB layout they are willing to share please?

Thanks and regards Tony.

I use one for my PC speakers.

It is not 2 x LM1875 in one package. It has similar power rating, but the equivalent schematic looks more advanced, as do the specs.

How does it sound? That is a difficult question, because it depends on the application and the speakers.

When I finished it, I compared it to my living room amp (of course). That was quite unfair, because my LM1876 is supposed to be used for near-field listening at low listening levels. So it has a very small power supply that limits its output to about 2 x 5 W into 8 Ohm.

At first the LM1876 showed more or less what people discuss a lot here, a slight lack of punch. That was with 1000 µF per rail. After increasing that to 6800 µF there is nothing missing anymore.

What strikes me most is that it seems to give rhythm to the music. Now what does that mean? While my other amplifier makes you want to sit still and listen, the LM1876 makes you want to get up and move. I verified this with several different speakers, but have no idea, where that effect comes from. Other than that there is nothing unusual about it. The frequency response is as flat as can be, THD is low, accuracy is high, power output is reasonable, staging is credible. A recommendable IC.

My PCB files got lost, when I got a new PC. Somehow missed them, when I copied everything else. Anyhow it was not based on a complete and well-designed schematic that would have been good for sharing. Just a quick-'n'-dirty DC coupled amp with PSU on board.
But how about the evaluation board from National themselves?

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.