Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to cyberspyder
Default Some Chipamp questions from a newbie.

I've been wanting to build several things for quite some time now (DAC, Headphone amp, speaker amp), and now's the time to get started on a Chipamp. I want to be able to build one that would have pre-outs for a sub and multiple inputs, but still the default config. of two speakers (2.1 now, I guess with the pre-outs). Is this possible? For multiple inputs, are there more elegant solutions than just having a multi-pole switch? Like a pot/selector thing?

Casewise, I was thinking of going with a Hifi-2000 Galaxy GX 147, with the 10mm front upgrade. The fornt and back panels will be drawn up in CAD then sent to FPE for engraving and machining. The top cover will have some sections cut out, in order to fit this over top (it will run the full length of the case):

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/cgi-b...l&AirUnits=LFM

The power supplies will be housed in another Galaxy GX 147, without the heatsink. There would be two---one for my headphone amp, and the other for the chipamp (split the case into half). Any good suggestions for kits? How's the Snubberized PSU from Brian?

Thanks, Brendan
Old 16th November 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Or maybe these two:

http://www.mmmetals.com/extrusions/drawings/MM14315.jpg

http://www.mmmetals.com/extrusions/drawings/MM12310.jpg
Old 17th November 2008, 05:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Some Chipamp questions from a newbie.

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberspyder
I want to be able to build one that would have pre-outs for a sub and multiple inputs, but still the default config. of two speakers (2.1 now, I guess with the pre-outs). Is this possible?
Yes. Could be necessary to add a buffer before splitting the signal to main and sub section. Does the sub already have an amplifier and a cross-over? Or will you use another chipamp and a DIY cross-over for the sub?

Quote:
For multiple inputs, are there more elegant solutions than just having a multi-pole switch?
Depends on what you consider more elegant? You could use relays and work with pushbuttons and/or a remote control to switch the relays. May become pricey, but according to your case and heatsink choice money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you.

Quote:
The top cover will have some sections cut out, in order to fit this over top (it will run the full length of the case):
Did you chose the heatsinks for technical reasons or for looks only?
Old 17th November 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Some Chipamp questions from a newbie.

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificblue

Yes. Could be necessary to add a buffer before splitting the signal to main and sub section. Does the sub already have an amplifier and a cross-over? Or will you use another chipamp and a DIY cross-over for the sub?

Depends on what you consider more elegant? You could use relays and work with pushbuttons and/or a remote control to switch the relays. May become pricey, but according to your case and heatsink choice money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you.

Did you chose the heatsinks for technical reasons or for looks only?
The sub has it's own Xover and amp, I;m merely connecting it to the chipamp.

The cases I already have ...picked them up for free---just need the 10mm panels and the milling. Heatsink wise, I just picked one that looked beefy enough to handle the chipamp, nothing more

Brendan

Hide this!Advertise here!