Some Chipamp questions from a newbie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been wanting to build several things for quite some time now (DAC, Headphone amp, speaker amp), and now's the time to get started on a Chipamp. I want to be able to build one that would have pre-outs for a sub and multiple inputs, but still the default config. of two speakers (2.1 now, I guess with the pre-outs). Is this possible? For multiple inputs, are there more elegant solutions than just having a multi-pole switch? Like a pot/selector thing?

Casewise, I was thinking of going with a Hifi-2000 Galaxy GX 147, with the 10mm front upgrade. The fornt and back panels will be drawn up in CAD then sent to FPE for engraving and machining. The top cover will have some sections cut out, in order to fit this over top (it will run the full length of the case):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/cgi-...50.01&airflow=57.2&CType=Natural&AirUnits=LFM

The power supplies will be housed in another Galaxy GX 147, without the heatsink. There would be two---one for my headphone amp, and the other for the chipamp (split the case into half). Any good suggestions for kits? How's the Snubberized PSU from Brian?

Thanks, Brendan

cyberspyder said:
I want to be able to build one that would have pre-outs for a sub and multiple inputs, but still the default config. of two speakers (2.1 now, I guess with the pre-outs). Is this possible?
Yes. Could be necessary to add a buffer before splitting the signal to main and sub section. Does the sub already have an amplifier and a cross-over? Or will you use another chipamp and a DIY cross-over for the sub?

cyberspyder said:
For multiple inputs, are there more elegant solutions than just having a multi-pole switch?
Depends on what you consider more elegant? You could use relays and work with pushbuttons and/or a remote control to switch the relays. May become pricey, but according to your case and heatsink choice money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you.

cyberspyder said:
The top cover will have some sections cut out, in order to fit this over top (it will run the full length of the case):
Did you chose the heatsinks for technical reasons or for looks only?

Re: Re: Some Chipamp questions from a newbie.

pacificblue said:

Yes. Could be necessary to add a buffer before splitting the signal to main and sub section. Does the sub already have an amplifier and a cross-over? Or will you use another chipamp and a DIY cross-over for the sub?

Depends on what you consider more elegant? You could use relays and work with pushbuttons and/or a remote control to switch the relays. May become pricey, but according to your case and heatsink choice money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you.

Did you chose the heatsinks for technical reasons or for looks only?

The sub has it's own Xover and amp, I;m merely connecting it to the chipamp.

The cases I already have ;)...picked them up for free---just need the 10mm panels and the milling. Heatsink wise, I just picked one that looked beefy enough to handle the chipamp, nothing more :)

Brendan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.