kit differences: chipamp.com vs audiosector.com - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default kit differences: chipamp.com vs audiosector.com

ok so I'm putting together my first (real) speaker setup, and it has to be on a budget (the amp I mean, preferably $200) cause I'm a brokeass college student. I have a source and I bought a pair of the Insignia bookshelves for the speakers. I've abandoned the 41Hz route after reading a few too many bad things about support and problems with getting them to work, which I don't want to deal with, so I've decided to go with a gainclone kit from either chipamp.com or audiosector.com. I know BrianGT runs chipamp.com and Peter Daniel runs audiosector, but why do the sites look so similar? Anyway, a few questions about the amps...

1. Does a snubberized PS make a real (as in verified with A/B testing) audible difference?
2. If so, would it be worth it to get the PS kit from chipamp.com and the amp kit from audiosector?
3. Does dual mono make an audible difference from stereo?
4. Does the premium option make an audible difference on the audiosector kits?
5. Do the full chipamp.com kits come with the snubberized PS? Because the site says "basic power supply components"
6. Are stereo kits available from audiosector?
7. Will a Millett Max (a hybrid headphone amp) make a good preamp for a gainclone?
Old 31st October 2008, 05:43 AM   #2
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

I bought parts from Audiosector and Chipamp before the former the service is very good no matter how much you buy, the latter sometimes I receive no response makes you feel you are send messages to a black hole, eventhough I receive the parts I paid for.

I found Audiosector recommendations to be very good, I use their premium parts for the 3875 chipamp, they were spot on. The sound is very good, better than the parts I used in 3886 chipamp, and hence the 3875 sounds better. I fully recommend Audiosector. The parts are not cheap, if you building using minimal parts it is worthwhile.

Cheers Happy building.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: kit differences: chipamp.com vs audiosector.com

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd4ever
I know BrianGT runs chipamp.com and Peter Daniel runs audiosector, but why do the sites look so similar?
I think they used to be partners.

1. Does a snubberized PS make a real (as in verified with A/B testing) audible difference?

That depends. With lower value caps, you have less inductance and less diode ringing. You use snubbers with larger caps to reduce both. I did a back to back comparison (not quite a A/B) of 15,000 uF snubberized vs 2,200 uF. The 2,200 uF didn't have enough bass (this was in a stereo bridged LM4780 configuration), but was slightly clearer in the mids and highs.

2. If so, would it be worth it to get the PS kit from chipamp.com and the amp kit from audiosector?

I'm using the PS board from audiosector but added extra components to make almost exactly like the PS from chipamp.com. That said, it wasn't that easy getting some of the components in place.

3. Does dual mono make an audible difference from stereo?

I haven't heard the dual mono, but the stereo version has amazing stereo separation.

4. Does the premium option make an audible difference on the audiosector kits?

I would go for it, but that's just me. I hand picked my components using the recommended values. I have extremely low DC offset, and the sound is great (although I have nothing to compare to yet).

5. Do the full chipamp.com kits come with the snubberized PS? Because the site says "basic power supply components"

Good question. If not, there are only 2 resistors and 4 caps you would need, but it would be handy to have it all at once.

6. Are stereo kits available from audiosector?

Email Peter Daniels, he'll likely put whatever you want in the package. All you really need is 1 set of PSU components and boards instead of two. The PSU boards are pretty cheap, I bought two when I only needed one and then I had the ability to try two different configurations.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Ted205 is offline Ted205  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i've ordered from both, though different kits.

No complaints about either. I'm using the chipamp power supply and audiosection lm4780 boards.

Peter Daniel is more active on these boards and has given me support in the pinned thread at the top of this forum.
Old 31st October 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've also bought from both and had perfect service and goods from both sellers.

John
Old 31st October 2008, 06:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I find with the BG caps in the premium setup from Audiosector minus the input resistor to be well.... so far there is zero need for any snubberizing or extra anything.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:07 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: kit differences: chipamp.com vs audiosector.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Redshift187
I think they used to be partners.
They were both the leads in a huge group buy for gain clones -- the group buy bootstrapped both businesses.

Peter is doing this full-time, Brian has a regular day job.

dave
Old 31st October 2008, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know if Audioisector has kits in stock ready to ship?
Old 31st October 2008, 07:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by billbeau
Does anyone know if Audioisector has kits in stock ready to ship?
They are always in stock and ship immediately.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st October 2008, 07:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In your opinion which one sounds better the premium 3875 or the 4780?

Hide this!Advertise here!