lm3886 single sided pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys,

please check my one sided LM3886 pcb layout, thanks

diyaudio-1.jpg

here is the schematic

schem.jpg

note: input potentiometer is omitted on the pcb

Big, unconnected copper areas are an absolute no, no. Either connect them to ground or use that space to make some fixing holes.

Leave some room between the copper and the PCB's border. Remember that a PCB will be produced on a bigger piece of board, which will later be cut to size. Copper right at the cutting edge is likely to be damaged during that process.

Try to keep straight paths at right angles, and make turns at 2x45°. Looks also count. And put yourself into the place of an electron. You are travelling through the copper at nearly the speed of light, and then suddenly there is a 90° turn in front of you. Boy, will you hit your head. :hot:

click me

The resistor between signal and power ground can help you with hum issues. You may not need it, but your PCB should be prepared to refit it.

Just a friendly reminder, and I quote from wikipedia, because my physics textbooks are too far away from my desk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current#The_drift_speed_of_electric_charges

Electric currents in solids typically flow very slowly. For example, in a copper wire of cross-section 0.5 mm², carrying a current of 5 A, the drift velocity of the electrons is of the order of a millimetre per second

It is only when considering group velocity that electric current moves rapidly (think of toppling dominoes).

For High Frequency work, those layout guidelines matter. For audio, not so much - just look at the sample PCB's in the datasheets for some of the National chipamps. You're quoting from a guide to switchmode power supplies, which are indeed high frequency devices.

All that said, I hate it when components on a PCB don't sit straight, and I'd never make one up from random angles myself, but that's for purely aesthetic reasons. If it looks good, it'll work well, everything else being correct.

Pin 7 to power ground. The currents from this pin are not clean.

0u1F decoupling? On the back adjacent to the chips power pins?
Use the space just to the left of pin 2 to insert these small decoupling caps. Tie the junction of these caps to the power ground using a short link.

Zobel from output to power ground?

Remove the trace from power ground to signal ground. Insert a pair of holes for a link/resistor to tie these together.

There are sufficient pins to support this chip to the PCB. Break off the three unused pins and use the space freed up to ease your routing.

Q.)
Where should pin 8 go? Is it clean enough to tie into the signal ground or should it go to the power ground?

TheSeekerr said:
Just a friendly reminder...
Thanks for the reminder. I had not forgotten my lessons on that, so no need for text books. Using the same hydraulic model that explains, why individual electrons travel slow, while currents seem to travel near the speed of light will lead to the same result. Avoid right angles.
The imagination of the electrons traveling so fast and banging their heads is easier to explain, easier to remember, and not too far from the truth. So, they bang their heads more slowly? Bet it still hurts.

TheSeekerr said:
For High Frequency work, those layout guidelines matter. For audio, not so much
Yes, they do. The difference is that in audio you can get by with a bad design, because it only affects the quality, and most of the time below audible perception, while in HF it can seriously affect the function.

do as Kuldeep says.
Remove pin 2 and sort that supply rail bottle neck.
Push both smoothing caps up and that allows your PCB to be smaller.
I too think that pin8 should go to power ground, but I'm not sure. anyone else????
you could break the connection to signal ground and place 3 pin pads @ 0.1inch centres to allow experimentation. There's space for that.

If you don't fell like snipping the n/c pins, you can integrate them into your traces. E. g. pin 2 can be connected to V- without drawbacks. That way the V- trace can become wider. All n/c pins are truly not connected inside the IC, so they can be connected anywhere just as well as be left disconnected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.