Looking for amp kit that runs on 12V (car battery)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have posted similar question over at the 'car audio' forum but I guess those guys are not into kits or home-build amps :)

I am looking for a decent amplifier kit that runs on 12V (car battery). It will be actually mounted in the car so I need volume control. The amplifier will be driving small mp3 player.

So far I have found the following kits:

2x15W Stereo Amplifier

2x10W Stereo Amplifier

2x10W Stereo Amplifier

Are they any good or should I be looking for something else? I want to use kit because I am not that savvy when it comes to electronics. I still want to solder parts so at least I can say that I have built it myself (to some extent). I will be driving two sets of 4 ohm speakers (connected in series for total of 8 ohm).

Thanks.

Are you sure you need a volume control? You could use the volume control on the mp3 player, could you not?

As far as those kits, the power output is a bit low. You can find some chips that are geared more toward car applications (4 ohm stable, single sided supply capable so you can run it without a power supply). For example, TDA7560. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any kits for the ones I liked.

I have looked at TDA7560 and it looks simple enough for me to work on without the kit. I have some spare parts and based on this diagram I should be able to put it together.

I have one question though. Reading the above diagram, am I correct assuming that it needs four inputs? I will only have two L+R coming from the mp3 player but I would like to drive four speakers.

Thanks.

It might be possible to use a splitter with the mp3 player to get 4 inputs. I built a circuit exactly like the diagram you linked, except I changed the input caps to filter some bass out of the front channels. Something I found made it easier was to put a circuit board between the rows of pins and put all the components through holes on the board. Apparently if you get the right pitch of holes on the board you can turn the chip 90 degrees and the pins will line up with the holes. To see pics of what I made check here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130032

Thanks for the link to your post with pictures. It helps a lot.

So you think it could work if I connect left channel to input 1 and 2 and right channel to input 3 and 4? Sort of Y splitter?

Where did you get the chip? I have looked and reputable on-line retailers have them for $35 and Ebay has three listed below $10.

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.