OP based low pass audio filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've spent nearly 1 day trying to make this simple low pass filter work, and I haven't been able. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I want to remove high frecuencies from a square wave which I generate with one of the pins of a microcontroller to make it sound smoother. So at the input of the filter I have (A) and would like to have (B) but i get (C), in other words: I get nothing. I tried to use a passive RC filter but I had undesired atenuations at all frecuencies so I decided to build this active filter. The operational is an LM833 which is suposed to be valid for audio purpouses. In fact the schematic is taken from the LM833 application note (I've added the power supply symbols and the signal pictures ). Can the capacitors be de cause of the problem? they are standar poliester capacitors... Or probably is that the design is only valid for symetric power ( I mena +5 -5 , instead of +5 0 ).

Thanks in advance, and congratulations to all the members of the forum. It's time since I read it's posts, but I havent decided to write until today!

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 306
Man, you are right! I've just tested it with a symetric power supply +5V, 0, -5V and It works. I was mistaken. I know that operationals normally work with symetrical power supplies, but I used some operationals which could be used with not simetrical power supplies ( 0, 5V) and thought this would also.
Now I have a problem because I'll have to decouple the 0 to 5V square input signal to remove it's DC component ( -2.5 to 2.5 ) and I will also need a negative supply on my board to power the opamp.
Thanks

I've read the 358 opamp datasheet with more detail, and says:
"..Wide power supply range:
— Single supply: 3V to 32V
— or dual supplies: ±1.5V to ±16V
..."
then, in case of using this IC, would not be necessary to use a dual supply. But I'm using the 833 and on the datasheet of this chip doesn't say anything about single or dual power supply, it only says:
"...Input Voltage Range (Note 3) VIC ±15V..."
so I suppose that only works with dual supply.. I don't know. In fact I tested it with single supply and did not work...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.