Micromega Ia100 Gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another commercial gainclone, this time from Micromega, the IA100 amplifier, look what they say about the LM3886:

http://en.micromega-hifi.com/ampli-integres.html?PHPSESSID=de113037f98161d6711e0da4a962a9df

"After many hours of listening to various type of music, Micromega has selected 4 LM3886T modules
in parallel mode as power modules for the IA100 power section.
Although this choice could be questioned at the first glance, the listening results of these modules in
this particular configuration are astonishing.
As long as the speakers selected have reasonable impedance and sensitivity, IA100 is capable of
reproducing effortlessly all types of music with a true respect to the spirit of the musical content. The
specifically designed heatsink, using pressed fin technology, keeps the modules under a very
reasonable temperature range in all circumstances. All audiophiles know very well that a high
temperature is a serious enemy, especially for electrolytic capacitors that would dry out after a while
and fail."

Attachments

• imagen2.jpg
    imagen2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 793
Not quite

Looks like there are 4 LM3886T for the stereo unit. This is a paralllel LM3886 design. Paralleling 4 LM3886 would yield an amplifier that could drive anything. But I have never seen one.
I listen to another parallel LM3886 amplifier. It works great. Without knowing how the Micromega is built, it is hard to say how it sounds. But the LM3886 are not the limiting factor here. Maybe the digital volume control, power supply, and steel case.
Used to sneer at amps using chips. Now I admire them. They CAN sound very good. Like all other things, it all comes down to design and implimentation.

George

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Without actually hearing it in my system I wouldn't like to comment. It's easy to be prejudiced for no good reason.
As far as the "Marketing Blurb" --- well I could write similar, it picks little phrases and puts thoughts in your head.
How much does it cost ? :)

Just one per channel?, like chipamp.com gainclones. I think is just a gainclone with poor components and high price. i don't know how much it cost but knowing Micromega you can think about 1.300 euros, 1.900 USD.
What about the position of the trafo and the binding post, is not a little forced?

That fin spacing of the heatsink specs for forced air, not convection draft. It appears to be some sort of "space heater" arrangement specifically designed to get rid of electrolytic caps as quickly as possible. Wasn't there supposed to be air inlet holes underneath a heatsink? ;)

With that many digital circuits. . . did they include a radio?

Its rather nice that it has a remote control (see all those relays for input--that's a bog standard remote board that also makes a buffer), so kudos for that feature.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.