Which Chip AMP you like most?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
csom........

I think you would find an LM3886 based amp a major step up from any of the TDA2030/50 devices.

As to opamps, the 5532 used correctly is very good but it can bettered sonically in certain circuits (I'm thinking I/V conversion and the like). I would suggest trying something like the OPA2134 as an alternative.

You might be better starting a new thread/s to address all your different questions :)

csom........

I think you would find an LM3886 based amp a major step up from any of the TDA2030/50 devices.

As to opamps, the 5532 used correctly is very good but it can bettered sonically in certain circuits (I'm thinking I/V conversion and the like). I would suggest trying something like the OPA2134 as an alternative.

You might be better starting a new thread/s to address all your different questions

Thank you for your kind response and advice, Mooly.
I am astonished to see the NE5532 performance in my Preamp and Eq section. Infact I am really very very pleased with the result. So quiet and natural sounding. I am eagerly awaiting the availabilty of OPA2134 in my locality just to play with them as I read many good things about them on net :)

I am amazed to see that my casual diy Chip amp hobby project is outperforming my costly mosfet setup !! And I am moving to chip amp henceforth :) no more discrete for me :)

And as per your advice on LM3886, now I am decided to give them a try in no time and keep you updated about my learning /progress /problems if any in a new thread :)

Just one question, do i need to make six sets of LM3886 or i can use TDA2050 for high-pass section to drive the tweeters?

Best regards,
Som
:)

If you are not in a hurry, let me suggest waithing till after the first of the year when the final version of the MyRef Freemem Edition will be available. It is well supported and is simply the best sounding amp I have owned over a forty year history.

Oh thank you Bob,
I sure can wait! Since I am more than happy with my current preamp and Eq section, i can play with different chips for the time being when i have some time and some credentials :))
And indeed i am so eager to try your masterpiece too. Thank you for the link to your awesome thread. I will be a daily visitor there :)
Best Regards,
Som
:)

I wonder why people have worked so hard on the MyRef series and still haven't upgraded the project to a high quality driver chip with high end outputs?

Hi Daniel,

simply because a My_Ref with discrete high-end outputs is simply a Musical-Fidelity A370 and no driver chip is necessary... ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• MF A370 Sch.jpg
    MF A370 Sch.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 661
According Mauro Penasa, first My_Ref versions (not published) were TDA based but only with the LM3886 he found the right chip for his goals.
I was referring to unorthodox use of the TDA7293 with IN+ shorted to IN- so that it cannot amplify anything. The TDA7293 would have its predrive disabled and use the LM318 instead (Connect output of LM318 to TDA7293's Pin#11). The result should resemble the schematic at post #148 except with dMOSfet outputs that are cooler running, higher availability and lower cost than the 2SJ/2SK.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.