Worlds smallest amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now when my two monoblocks are in the workshop being converted into HEC high performance units (hopefully) I have no sound at home! Terrible! So, I decided to solve this as quickly as possible. At least I have to be able to watch TV with sound.

Result: 2 bridge mode IC amps and a switching power supply.

Sounds good right? Mohohaohaaaaaa......

Well, the supply is an old cell phone charger...and the amps are TDA7052´s putting out a staggering 2 x 1 watts......

Attachments

• small amp2.jpg
    small amp2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,927
can i be done much smaller

yes, of course :)

SMD Version of some common dual op-amp = left and right channel
+ SMD resistors and two eventual SMD output buffer transistors
Such transistors can come in e.g. D2-PAK
which can take a few watts, even without heatsink.

What sabotage it all are those GIGANTIC RCA Phono :D
The ouput connector may be hardwire
because normal loudspeaker terminals
would look like World Trade Center beside a normal house.

More reading:
Surface-mount_technology#Package_sizes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology#Package_sizes

:snowman: Lineup

Lineup Audio Members Blogs

Lineup Audio Community Projects

:snowman:

This made me remember a very small construction from the days I worked as a TV repair technician. There was a Sharp set about 10 years ago that used a OP based class D amp with SMD output transistors! Provided about 10 watts, but with terrible distorsion figures.

But it could be a way of building an extremely small amp with decent power! :)

I was the Sharp 70CS03 bt the way. LF output stage attached.

Attachments

• sharp_classd.jpg
    sharp_classd.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 893
Now if you want to talk small, ask my wife!!! or you can make a crystal set small enough to fit on a thumb nail (less earpiece), and if you think it is cheating because of the earpiece you can listen very carfully to the crystal, and all you need is a crystal diode and a tiny bit of coiled wire. But give the dude credit, it is small; damned phono sockets; They spoil everything small. Cheers Barry

Yeah, filterless. Cool, huh? Spread spectrum clock for EMC control.

I thought I could solder to this tiny chip by hand and mount it 'ugly bug' fashion, until it sank in I don't have access to a Mantis any more...

I've got an industrial hot air gun at work, I've done a couple of experiments with reflowing small boards by heating them from below, but it's very hit-or-miss so far. Just placing the chip is difficult, and because of the central pad you can't use glue.

We have a laser cutter at work, maybe I can cut a solder paste mask from some thin acetate. It'll have to be damn small solder balls though.

w

Out of the question today maybe, tomorrow who knows?

wakibaki:

I've heard of people doing it that way. I also remember spotting an article and kit somewhere (Elektor?) about converting a toaster oven into a rework oven. I'd consider it, but I have to find the article again.

I like the idea, but I'm too chicken to try it without modding it first.

Anyone ever done it this way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.