Lm3886 Gainclone Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I bought a gainclone kit from a Hong Kong supplier on ebay (before I had heard of Peter Daniels) and am putting it together. I have a plastic box from Maplin, but am unsure whether the toroidal transformer gets too hot for a plastic enclosure, If so I can always make a separate power supply. Any thoughts?
Another thing is I was thinking of not using a selector switch. If I connected a CD player and a Computer and maybe a tape deck to three phono sockets wired in parallel and only one input was swithed on, is that ok? and if more than one was switched on would this cause any damage? Another thing bothering me is input cable and Alps pots. Can you put your hand on your heart and say the amp will sound better if I use silver wires instead of bell wire and a cheap pot instead of a famous make? I would appreciate any replies and help. Thanks Barry

A plastic case for the transformer will be fine. Just make sure that it is sturdy enough and big enough to leave some air round the transformer, bridge etc.

CAT5 is my choice for internal wiring, don't get hung up about silver.

I don't usually have a pot or attenuator in my system (I use an SB3 and use its digital volume control) but I am currently testing a USB DAC and have an old cheap carbon pot after my DAC. Perhaps another volume control will sound better there but it sounds good enough for me not to even think about it. I bought the 'el cheapo' from Farnell.

If you want more than one input, use a selector switch as described here . It's nowhere near as much work as you may think! ;)

Tried to download pic, hope it works. I'm going to put the PSU in another matching case. Barry

Attachments

• pict0013c.jpg
    pict0013c.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 523
Just made the psu. Plugged the whole thing in and BINGO, no hum whatsoever. Fantastic sound from my old Meridian MCD. This is the best amp I have ever owned, much better than my friends Naim set up. He is well jealous, and it cost me about £80 compaired to his £5000!!! The heat sink gets very hot though, hope it does'nt blow up! Thanks everyone for your help; Barry

Attachments

• pict0010.jpg
    pict0010.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 310
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.