Chip amp power supply- a beginners guide

soft start for the mains fuse and primary circuit have nothing to do with secondary fusing.

The secondary fusing is to stop anything downstream catching fire or setting the house on fire.

The only thing in common with the primary fusing is that it too is to prevent anything downstream of the primary fuse from catching fire or setting the house on fire.

The soft-start allows you to size the primary fuse in a way that it can protect the transformer against shorts and overload. Without the soft-start, the primary fuse must be rated higher, so that is does not blow from the transformer's inrush current. In that case the primary fuse can only provide short-circuit protection and you need a fuse on the secondary side to provide the overload protection.

How do you go about choosing a transformer power rating wise? If I'm using an LM4780, which is rated at 60W*2, I suppose 120VA would be nowhere near enough if you factor in inefficiency?

It depends on what you are trying to build. If it's an expensive, *nice* looking amp, you wouldn't want to skimp on the transformer, but if you just want something to drive a couple bookshelf speakers at moderate levels with a small chassis and heatsink at low cost, you could use something pretty small like 48VA transformer, by simply accepting it won't be getting the maximum potential from the chips. I like a bit of margin anyway, from components whether it be an IC or a diode, resistor, capacitor, whatever...

Determine the transformer rating according to the actual amplifier output power, not according to datasheet's best case assumption.
To achieve 2x60 W into 8 Ohm with an LM4780 you need a power supply that is stable enough to deliver ±35 V at full blast and enormous heatsinks. You also need speakers that don't demand more current than an 8 Ohm resistor anywhere in the amplifier's working frequency range.

If you factor in efficiency and losses, the transformer will need a power rating of around three times the amplifier's output power. In real life your amplifier will not run at continuous maximum output power and the smoothing caps buffer peak power demands. The range specified by Andrew is reasonable. You can even use less than that, e.g. Douglas Self stated that 70 % of the amplifier's output power is a sufficient power rating for the transformer. Another example for a smaller transformer is Siegfried Linkwitz's Pluto speaker. One LM3886 feeds the 8 Ohm tweeter, two in BTL configuration feed the 8 Ohm woofer from ±30 V. In theory that means over 200 W of output power, but it only has a single 50 VA tranformer.

120VA is about the minimum that can work adequately for two channels producing a total of 120W.
240VA is about the maximum that would be used.
Outside that range, you either reduce performance significantly or increase the cost significantly for a small performance gain.

What he said ... Always spot on advice from an experienced, well qualified DIY builder. :wiz:

It might be noted that using the minimum sized (120 VA) xformer may add a bit of heat to your box.

:geezer: My advise would be to error on the higher side, a bit more VA will usually generate less heat ... up to the "overkill" maximum (240 VA.).

On my instructions it is specified to connect the center tap of the transformer to ground. I understand I can connect it to the safety earth wire of my supply. is this correct?
NO !
the Safety Earth wire must be connected permanently to the chassis. Nothing else is allowed to interfere with this permanent mechanical fixing.

The Centre Tap is connected to the PSU Zero Volts.

zero volts

NO !
the Safety Earth wire must be connected permanently to the chassis. Nothing else is allowed to interfere with this permanent mechanical fixing.

The Centre Tap is connected to the PSU Zero Volts.

Ok understood for the safety earth wire.

I've just read Elliot's guide on hard wiring the PSU.
It seems to me that the zero volts is also connected to the chassis on a separate point than the earth point.

thanks for your advice. I'm using a PSU on a PCB (from a kit) and a EI transformer. So all the arrangement described are often different to mine and I have to transpose as best as I can.

"Basic" PSU -vs- switched

A lot of information on this thread - so I may be mixed up on what I am about to ask.

I am in the process of building a PSU for a stereo LM3875 kit (Peter Daniel's). I originally planned on having only one supply power both amps. But I bought a 160VA transformer, as that was the highest VA I could get a hold of with 22-0-22 secondaries, which appears to be slightly under rated for both amps at max power. So I will buy a second 160VA transformer and more MUR860 for dual mono. I plan on powering an Alpair 12.2 full-range driver on each channel. This load is rated at 7 ohms.

The question I have is this - and it has been asked before - and not answered: Is there any sonic benefit to building a regulated switched PSU for this application? I gather from some posts there is no benefit, just more work. But surely there is some kind of "diference". Or is this another one of those highly contriversal topics like the whole snubberized -vs- not bit!?! Feel free to direct me to other threads.

Thanks in advance

Allen

What does the term "single supply" mean?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does the term "single supply" mean. I'm working on a gainclone and I intend to power it using only one power supply supplying B+ to both channels. Is this known as a "single supply"? If so, what do I need to do to ensure success?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas

Is there any sonic benefit to building a regulated switched PSU for this application?

from Doglas Self: Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook 5th Edition
Linear Regulated Power Supplies

Advantages
  • A regulated supply-rail voltage means that the amplifier can be made to approximate more closely to a perfect voltage source, which would give twice the power into 4 Ω than it gives into 8 Ω. This is considered to have marketing advantages in some circles, though it is not clear why you would want to operate an amplifier on the verge of clipping. There are, however, still load-dependent losses in the output stage to consider. More on this later.
  • A regulated supply-rail voltage to a power amplifier gives absolutely consistent audio power output in the face of mains voltage variation.
  • Clipping behavior will be cleaner, as the clipped peaks of the output waveform are not modulated by the ripple on the supply rails. Having said that, if your amplifier is clipping regularly you might consider turning it down a bit.
  • Can be designed so that virtually no ripple is present on the DC output (in other words the ripple is below the white noise the regulator generates) allowing relaxation of amplifier supply-rail rejection requirements. However, you can only afford to be careless with the PSRR of the power amp if the regulators can maintain completely clean supply rails in the face of sudden current demands. If not, there will be interchannel crosstalk unless there is a separate regulator for each channel. This means four for a stereo amplifier, making the overall system very expensive.
  • The possibility exists of electronic shutdown in the event of an amplifier DC fault, so that an output relay can be dispensed with. However, this adds significant circuitry, and there is no guarantee that a failed output device will not cause a collateral failure in the regulators that leaves the speakers still in jeopardy.

Disadvantages
  • Complex and therefore potentially less reliable. The overall amplifier system is at least twice as complicated. The much higher component count must reduce overall reliability, and getting it working in the first place will take longer and be more difficult. For example, consider the circuit put forward by John Linsley-Hood [1]. To regulate the positive and negative rails for the output stage, this PSU uses 16 transistors and a good number of further parts; a further six transistors are used to regulate the supplies to the small-signal stages. It is without question more complex and more expensive than most power amplifiers.
  • If the power amplifier fails, due to an output device failure, then the regulator devices will probably also be destroyed, as protecting semiconductors with fuses is a very doubtful business; in fact it is virtually impossible. The old joke about the transistors protecting the fuse is not at all funny to power-amplifier designers, because this is very often precisely what happens. Electronic overload protection for the regulator sections is therefore essential to avert the possibility of a domino-effect failure, and this adds further complications as it will probably need to be some sort of foldback protection characteristic if the regulator transistors are to have a realistic prospect of survival.
  • Comparatively expensive, requiring at least two more power semiconductors, with associated control circuitry and over-current protection. These power devices in turn need heat-sinks and mounting hardware, checking for shorts in production, etc.
  • Transformer tappings must still be changed for different mains voltages.
  • IC voltage regulators are usually ruled out by the voltage and current requirements, so it must be a discrete design, and these are not simple to make bulletproof. Cannot usually be bought in as an OEM item, except at uneconomically high cost.
  • May show serious HF instability problems, either alone or in combination with the amplifiers powered. The regulator output impedance is likely to rise with frequency, and this can give rise to some really unpleasant sorts of HF instability. Some of my worst amplifier experiences have involved (very) conditional stability in such amplifiers.
  • The amplifier can no longer deliver higher power on transient peaks.
  • The overall power dissipation for a given output is considerably increased, due to the minimum voltage drop through the regulator system.
  • The response to transient current demands is likely to be slow, affecting slewing behavior.

I'm working on a gainclone and I intend to power it using only one power supply supplying B+ to both channels. Is this known as a "single supply"?

Yes, a single supply needs two rails, one positive and one negative, where the negative is usually at the same time the ground. A split supply has three rails, positive, negative and ground, where the ground potential is in between positive and negative.

If so, what do I need to do to ensure success?

The basic differences are usually that you
  • need a virtual ground between the positive rail and the real ground, to which the input signal is referenced. That means usually three more resistors and two more capacitors. An additional transistor or even op amp is sometimes used to improve the stability of that virtual ground.
  • need a (big) DC blocking capacitor between the amp output and the speaker. The virtual ground is present at the amp output and the resulting DC signal at half the rail voltage could destroy the connected speakers without that capacitor.
Depending on the chip amp IC you use, some of those components may already be built-in. You need to read the corresponding datasheet. Usually there is a schematic of how the IC you use must be implemented with a single supply.