Chip amp power supply- a beginners guide

AndrewT said:
Hi Ray,
you've got a dual polarity supply from dual secondary transformer.
Middle connection is treated as zero volts.
The other two connections from the PSU are +33Vdc and -33Vdc.
All normal for this 24Vac transformer.

audio1st said:

Hi Ray,
It looks as if you have 2 white wires at V- and 2 red wires at V+..
I cant see where PG- and PG+ are connected, have you just tied them together?
They need to connect to the AMP board ground..
Please let us know how you have connected these wires.
Barry..

Sorry I'm so dumb, you guys are gents for helping me so much.

I've got two wires on V+ and V-, PG+ and PG- are wired to the ps chassis ground, which is in turn wired through the connector cable to the amp boards star ground and by way of that to the chassis ground for the amp enclosure. Here comes a diagram:

Attachments

• crude.jpg
    crude.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,233
AndrewT said:
Hi Ray,
you've got a dual polarity supply from dual secondary transformer.
Middle connection is treated as zero volts.
The other two connections from the PSU are +33Vdc and -33Vdc.
All normal for this 24Vac transformer.

So Andrew...

In order to treat the middle connection as zero I do this (see crude diagram), right?

Is only having one of two holes in AC1/AC2 going to work?? Doesn't that defeat the rectifier?

Attachments

• cruder.jpg
    cruder.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,177
sharing the PSU currents across two amplifiers has nothing to do with halving the PSU voltage.

The PSU has two halves each half has an output voltage ~ 1.5Tines the Vac of each transformer secondary Series connect the two output voltages at the rectifier PCB and you get +-Vdc ~= 1.5 times Vac + Vac.

You can use either a single rectifier to achieve this +-Vdc or you can use dual rectifiers to get similar +-Vdc.

The single rectifier version series connect trhe secondaries before the rectifier and can use a dual secondary transforme ror a centre tapped transformer.

The recent diagrams posted here show a dual rectifier version that must use a dual secondary transformer. The series connection of the supplies is after the rectifier in this case.

audio1st said:
Hi Ray, the second picture is wrong.. The layout you have at the moment should work but may hum.
Below is my suggestion..
We may have to look at the Amp boards next?
Barry,

That's a beautiful diagram and I was using such setup successfully in AMP-1 for many years. That amp was dual mono with separate power feed to each channel.

When I tried to use similar approach in Patek or an Integrated Amp some people reported hum problems, so I modified ground wiring and that was better.

So if would be so kind, can you adjust the diagram in a way that OG points (on amp boards) are connected together and PG- and PG+ wires from power socket connect centrally to that connection, like in a picture here: http://audiosector.com/images/patek2/patek2_01.jpg