Chip amp power supply- a beginners guide - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2009, 03:48 PM   #331
diyAudio Member

Default Parts suppliers?

I have recently started building Chip amps and found a very nice EI trafo that came out of a Parasound amp that blew up. I have been studying the various regulated schemata floating around on this forum and have decided to build a regulated PSU using this trafo. It is a 29.5-0-29.5 trafo so really I can probably use it without a regulated PSU but I want to try one. I like the design found at DOGBREATH.DE but I have one problem.....finding a parts supplier for these parts. Can anybody point me in the right direction in finding 2, 5, 10 watt wirewound resistors and the LM338? I found the LM338 at Farnell.com but there are x2 different ones with different specs...one with a 35v max input voltage and the other with 40v. ????? to use ????? Anyway, if anybody out there can help or, if anybody has a few of these parts to build one regulated PSU I would purchase them from you.
Thanks alot y'all,
Jeff Miller
Lawton, USA
millerjeff@ccmhonline.com
Old 19th May 2009, 04:02 PM   #332
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Your traffo is going to put out around 42 volts after the rectifier bridges!

I think that the figures you are referring to for the LM338 are for Input Output Voltage Differential, that is the difference between the input voltage and the output voltage, rather than the maximum input voltage.

So you could use your traffo for a regulated supply down to around 7 volts although you obviously don't need to go that low for a GC.

Farnell sell the wirewound resistors that you talk about .
Old 19th May 2009, 04:08 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Jeff,
That transformer will give about 41 volts DC which is way too high for a chipamp. Of course you could regulate it down but that will be a lot of power turned into heat unless you use a very sophisticated switched regulation system that will probably be too expensive. Good luck
Ted
Old 19th May 2009, 04:13 PM   #334
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
your 29.5Vac transformer could charge the smoothing caps to about 46Vdc when very lightly loaded and mains is 6% high.
Don't think about using a 36 or 40V rated regulator.
Old 20th May 2009, 03:58 AM   #335
diyAudio Member

Default 29.5v trafo

I thought the maximum input voltage for the LM3886 was 42v. I have tested my trafo on the rectifier and with the diode drop it measures exactly 40v DC. Couldn't I just use this in an unregulated fashion with the LM3886? I have built one with a 38.5v DC unreg supply without problems. What's another 1.5v? Is there an easy way to shave a couple of volts off the rails, maybe a resistor in parallel and series on the leads? I remember reading somewhere, I think in the art of electronics a way to create a voltage drop by putting a resistor in parallel and series on one of the leads but I don't remember the details of this. Any thoughts?
Old 20th May 2009, 09:30 AM   #336
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 29.5v trafo

Quote:
Originally posted by jmillerdoc
I have tested my trafo on the rectifier and with the diode drop it measures exactly 40v DC.
and what was the mains voltage when you carried out this test?

First impression is that is is NOT a 29.5Vac transformer.

Feed the computers with nonsense and they spit out nonsense in return.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:35 AM   #337
diyAudio Member

The maximum voltages for the 3886 are 94Vdc and 84Vdc.
See absolute maximum ratings.

What is your maximum voltage from your supplier?
Write or phone and ask them directly.

Then, find out the maximum voltage that the transformer will charge the smoothing caps to, to find if you can meet both conditional maxima.
Old 20th May 2009, 06:18 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

Default BrianGT power supply

I have an extra PSU from a dual mono kit that I ended up not using in a dual mono config. Brians's PSU has x4 output leads a V-, PGND-, PGND+, and V+. I tried hooking the PGND's together to get a 35v(+) - 0 - 35(-) standard 3 power lead out configuration but when I did this it obviously begins to short out. Why can't I connect his PSU up this way? I was going to use this PSU in a point to point build, now I don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?
Jeff
Old 20th May 2009, 06:19 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

Default clarification

Sorry, I should clarify...the PSU above was one purchased from Chipamp.com....If you didn't already put that together.
Jeff
Old 21st May 2009, 07:24 AM   #340
diyAudio Member

Coupling the two separate PSUs together should work.
The amp PCB does the same thing, joins the two PNGD lines together, to create the zero volts reference and a dual polarity supply.

Go back and check your wiring.

To build two separate PSUs from a single transformer the transformer MUST HAVE dual secondaries. One cannot build separate PSUs from a centre tapped secondary.

Hide this!Advertise here!