Starting a student project, need some input (chip amp + speaker set) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Sneasle is offline Sneasle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Sneasle Send a message via MSN to Sneasle Send a message via Yahoo to Sneasle
Default Starting a student project, need some input (chip amp + speaker set)

Hi guys. I'm new here and come seeking some wisdom. I am an EE student at Auburn University and our campus IEEE group is looking to start an EE project to teach students more about designing a circuit and then constructing the circuit.

Most of what we get is classes is all "book smarts", so the goal of this is to try and give people some practical knowledge about designing, building, and testing a circuit.

I have had a little experience with amps in the past (I did a bit with tube amps in high school, and built a chip amp based off of a Phillips IC, I don't remember the name anymore) so i suggested building a chip amp as it would be a simple enough project that people could actually use and enjoy. The idea was taken to pretty quickly so now we are doing some reading to try and figure out exactly what we want to do.

We will not start this up until spring semmester, but we want to go ahead and plan out the project and build a few of these amps so that those of us in charge are familiar with the design and will be able to answer questions about it.

Ideally we are looking for a design that is relatively simple, has a low parts count, and won't be too expensive to build ( students will buy their own parts. I guess if a student wants a better quality amp, they can choose to buy better parts, but just for the experience, we want it to be able to be built cheaply), and can be built on a pcb easily.

The LM3875 seems to be a very popular choice, along with the LM3886, but I am unsure what would be the best choice for us.

We are also considering giving kids the option of building a speaker set to go along with the amp. If we do, it will probably be zigma hornets or something similar that is easy to build and small enough for a dorm room.

Thanks guys, any input is appreciated.
Old 9th August 2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think most of what you are likely to want to know can be found here .
Old 9th August 2008, 10:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Sneasle Send a message via MSN to Sneasle Send a message via Yahoo to Sneasle
Thanks nuuk, I'll give that a look.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:42 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

selecting the "best" chip is unimportant.
Your evaluation after completion carries much more weight. It should show you have understood what you have designed, how it works, why it did/didn't work, how you overcame problems, etc.
Old 9th August 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi!
It's very good that students are interested to learn and build an audio amplifier.
I start to build amps. since I was 10 years old, and till now I have made a lot, and My present listening amps are also homemade.
My suggestion is that if you like to learn more about audio amps is to start with discrete transistors schematic.So you will able to learn more about all amps circuits input circuit thermal and bias stability, PA circuit, all input and output parameters distortion impedance handling, feedback,, frequency response, slew rate, and other very important thing which I would say that is 40 to 50 percent of the sound , a good power supply.
If you start learn with IC amps you will learn maybe how to solder components etc...
Sorry but I can't give you a schematic but I am sure that you will get a simple transistor schematic here or other places on the internet.
I wish you a good luck with your attempt to build a simple and cheep amp.
Old 10th August 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

While your design choices will be limited by budget, available tools, and the constructors' skill level, make sure that the lesson includes the consideration of the "listener's" preferences, including the type of music that the system will be playing.
Old 10th August 2008, 03:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Some of this stuff we learned the basics of in out Analog Electronics class, but the application of this is what we are looking for mostly.

Ideally, these would be good general purpose amps. There is no way we are going to get an agreement on musical taste to pick out a design, so something that hits about middle of the pack would be best.
Old 10th August 2008, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how much real learning value there is in building a chip amp. After all, the manufacturer has done all the design work, and published detailed application notes on how to use the thing. It's like thinking you're a chef because you added water to a cake mix. IMO, you'd be better off buying a barrel of surplus discrete small signal and power devices, then building up a very simple version of a traditional amp. Get a copy of Doug Self's book on power amps and start there. All the stages are explained in painful detail, but you then get to exercise some judgement based on how complicated you want it, and what parts you have available. That gets you away from the cookbook approach that teaches far less.
Old 10th August 2008, 06:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thespeakerguy
Default Perhaps a headphone amplifier?

Sorry, realize this is the chip amp forum, but I feel a headphone amplifier might be better.

Although these are EE students, they are still amatuers. This project will be conducted within the realm of a university, so safety must be considered. As an individual, we can do things which would not be allowed in an institution.

A headphone amplifier can operate from a discarded wall-wart or notebook PC power supply, pushing the onus for safety to another company.

A headphone amp is also more useful in a university setting.

A headphone amp costs a fraction of the stereo power amp, and consumes a smaller portion of the constrained dorm space.

And yet, building a headphone amp will teach almost all the same skills, save off-the-line power supply design.

Your thoughts?
Old 10th August 2008, 08:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

IMO, a headphone amp is a good idea too. If you have to use a chip amp, learn to do a bridge amp. At least there will be more area for discussion beyond the app notes. You can likely do a nice dual purpose amp- headphones, but with just enough power for efficient dorm room speakers as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!