LM3886 based amp- questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've decided to go for the dual-mono kit from chipamp.com. For one - because it's been a long time since I've played with creating and assemblin my own boards. Also, it turned out, it was quite a nice way to get all necessary bits and pieces, from financial point of view. So - a couple of questions, to make sure I've got things straight, while waiting for the kit to arrive.

1: I'm picking transformers right now. The best option is 120VA transformers from Farnell 2x25V output. They're really nice and on a discount. As far as I get it, for a dual-mono system two of those would be great. Is 25V too much though? I plan on using 8ohm speakers only, but who knows, I might be running 4ohms as well. The other option is quite low though - 18V output.

2: I've noticed on the schematics that there are no capacitors neither on the input, nor the output sinal lines. The suggested schematic from National Semiconductor provides caps on both. Is there any specific reason they're omitted in this schematic, I'm just wondering?

3: Rz and Cz is the Zobel network, correct?

4: Can I reduce the DC offset to zero? http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gaincloneFAQ.html suggests connecting leg 7 to the ground trough a resistor matching the feedback resistor used. However - that is for a different schematic and a different chip, so I don't think the same logic would apply.

2x 25V is going to result in about +/- 35VDC at no load -- depending up on the amount of filter capacitance this will be lower as you load the power supply. I would say that this is quite a bit on the high side.

You can access the National Semi Design from their website. They put it back (after a brief absence) here :

http://www.national.com/appinfo/audio/files/Overture_Design_Guide15.xls

Hi, Thanks for posting this question. I just ordered the same kit and am also looking for suitable transformers.

I read the assembly pdf for this particular kit and it talks about using 160VA-330VA transformers, 2x18-22V secondaries, for stereo configurations, but I didn't see anything about dual mono.

It seems like smaller transformers would be fine with this kind of configuration(even for techno?), but do these transformers need dual secondaries?

You will need two 2x18V tranformers for dual mono configutation. Also you will need two independent secondaries and two independent rectifiers for each toroids.
With 18v AC you will get ~24.5v DC after rectifying. That makes ~55W into 4R and ~28W into 8R. I think 160VA for each channel is overkill! May be 100 or 120VA will be enough..
For techno music; I dont know what loud level you like and what kind of speakers you have? But with high sensitive speakers (like Klipsch RF and RB series) this power levels are satisfactory.

Great! My project will cost quite a bit less than i thought :) I'm very much a newbie. This is my second project after building a CMOY, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before starting.

Right now I'm reading up on the safety precautions and what I would need for getting the wallpower safely to the amps(fuse requirements, etc).

Looking forward to seeing the answers to Atilla's other questions :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.