Chip amp help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone. I was told to go here for chip amps due to the expertise on this forum.

I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 745 receiver, HT Omega Claro + sound card, 12'' MTX subwoofer, Belkin high end power filter, custom built silver cables and a speaker that I built using a 7'' Seas AL driver and a Vifa 1'' ring radiator.

My system sounds wonderful, to me better than some systems costing 20k+, although I still want to improve upon the sound quality. I cannot improve on the speakers because I no longer have the resources to build cabinets, the sound card is top of the line, a more expensive power cleaner is pointless, my receiver works as good as any 10k receiver, and my cables are also some of the best money can make. The only thing that I can immediately do to improve the sound for a reasonable amount of money would be to add an amp to my receiver through the pre-out. Since the high end mono block amp companies rip you off I would like to built one, namely a gainclone because of their simplicity and high cost to value ratio.

I need help getting started. The first thing would be choosing the best design. One that I found was this: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/Nanoo/ . My first amp I want to cost very little, around $70 or less just so that I can confirm my soldering skills and whatnot. If that is successful I want to go for a top of the line gainclone. This one should cost around $250 (I'm not sure how high you can go before hearing little increase in quality) and still be relatively simple and manageable by a person that only has electronic circuit experience from high school. After the schematic is chosen I need help finding a case and transformer.

I have a dremel and a Hakko soldering iron to work with along with a decent digital multimeter.

So what do you guys suggest? :)

Try one of these 41hz.com
Low cost and a forum for support.
Get the most straight forward one first (Amp6 basic) and the practice solder kit too its only $6.
Oh and watch these tutorial videos too.

http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

Good luck

Attachments

• st_b3[1].jpg
    st_b3[1].jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 376
Hi,
you will learn how to organise better, how to solder better and how to make fewer mistakes, but going the digital route will probably teach you nothing about analogue electronics.
It depends on your attitude to lifelong learning which direction you take.

Wow, Im so glad you posted your question Synesthesia.
Im going to buy a gainclone from Peter as soon as I can think of a way to spin it a high WAR (women approval rating). Ive got a couple of small 41Hz amps for the kids rooms (active speaker systems). Now Id like to do an amp for "us" for the lounge.
Another project will be hard to sell but Im confident I have the skills (plus a large box of expensive chocolates and flowers).
Good luck with your project, its' a shame you have lost the resources to do cabinets as the enclosure is half the fun with both speakers and amps.
Keep us posted
Steve:smash:

Synesthesia,

Here's another option- http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=320-212 $30 plus shipping. And the transformer- http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=129-035 less than $3 plus shipping and then whatever you decide to use for connectors, a switch, power cord, etc.

I built one of these and I love it. I added a Velleman tone/volume control, bought a cigar box at a local smoke shop for the case, and now I'm jammin'.:cool:

I'll be moving on to bigger and better next, either Audiosector or Chipamp.com, but this one's still a keeper. BTW, I'm still a noob, so take that for what it's worth.:D

Mike

its' a shame you have lost the resources to do cabinets as the enclosure is half the fun with both speakers and amps.

At least I have my dremel :)

Next year there is a chance that I will be able to gain access to those resources again, in which case if they as good as I am hoping, I will end up building some pretty nice speaker and amp enclosures. Trust me, I was going for an architectural/design major until I switched.

Synesthesia said:
or is it only a matter of the quality behind the components that you use.
definitely not.
It is far more important to select the correct value of components to ensure the chipamp operates within it's parameters.
Get it working properly first, even with cheap components.
Then think about what tuning methods are available using alternative cheap components. Boutique components are for the wealthy who want to brag about throwing their money around.

There are many locations where high specification components are worthwhile, but that does not necessarily mean exotic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.