buffer step down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had a search but couldn't really find anything.

What is a good way to step the higher dc voltage used for the amplifier, down to something that can be used for a buffer, i.e 15-20v.

Or do people simply use another transformer & power supply

thanks

ted

assuming i have a large enough transformer. Is there any 'audio' downside to using one tranny for the amp and the buffer, each with their own PSU feeding from it?

Or if i take a feed from the original PSU output and regulate it down to what i need?

i realise more heat will be generated dropping a high voltage.

r5=680 is too big.
If the supply runs at 24Vdc (this will vary with mains voltage and amplifier load) then you have just 13mA available.
At max mains voltage and min amplifier draw the Zener should be near maximum dissipation. That makes more current available at other operational conditions.
If Zener dissipation is a problem then use a zener+medium power transistor to make more current available for the low level stage when mains is at minimum and amp load is maximum.

woody said:
It might be best to tell us what you realy need. Like how much
current do you need, how tight do you need this voltage regulated, how much noise can you tolerate, do you need a
single supply voltage, is it located in the amp ect.

I'm making the additional power supply for a discrete buffer (Andrew Rothwell's design from Decibel dungen)
which i need to investigate as to what current is needed.

the negative and positive rails draw similar current of ~6mA while no signal is present.
But the positive rail current is modulated with a signal passing.
Allow at least +6mA and -6mA.
but probably better to go to +12mA and -6mA, to ensure that current limiting does not occur on asymmetrical peaks. i.e. 0mA to 18mApk in +ve rail and 6mA continuous in -ve rail.

This analysis depends on R1=120r & R2=27k with +-15Vdc to +-20Vdc supply.

I suggest you add an RF filter to the buffer input. 300uS should be sufficient. 470pF & 680r are about right, but there is much leeway in these values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.