Help needed - DIY parts sources in UK??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys...

I am looking to build a chip amp for myself and have already got an LM3875 dual mono kit. However, i still have got to get other parts such as transformer, connectors, wires, pots etc. This is my first audio DIY project and i do not have much information on sources for components and parts here in UK. After searching and reading through the forum, i gathered the following links for transformer and other basic components:

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/

http://www.rapidonline.com/

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/index.html --> (this one is very good but does not seem to have right type of transformer)

Are there any other resources, better or not, than the above ones? I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

I am also looking for a nice case for the amp which i have not been able to find yet. I was thinking of buying a faulty amplifier off ebay and than use the case (ans also pots, connectors etc fit on it). No luck yet. So, if anyone knows of any source for cases and enclosured in reasonable price, please let me know.

ta.

Since you are in the UK there are

http://www.madaboutsound.com/ Vikash, a moderator here and a super honest chap to do business with.

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php I've had a dozen or so orders from them, quick service and no hassles.

http://uk.farnell.com/ Huge range, fast service, dont like the website though.

You should be able to get most things from one or the other.

The case is much more work than the chipamp, and could cost more than its contents. Several times more if you go for a really nice "boutique" case. As you say old enclosures can be recycled to very good effect, it just depends how much spare time/budget you have.

I second visiting Decibel Dungeon, it was responsible for my new addiction!

John

Thanks very much guys. Appreciate the help :)

Placed an order for transformer from Airlink which should arrive in 2-3 days. Looks like i have all the sources for components now. Now its the case i need to sort out. You are right, its the most difficult part of DIY amp build. There are quite a few sources here in UK for components, but surprisingly i could not find anything for DIY cases and enclosures. I found a few, but they are too expensive (over £200) which is not feasible. I dont see a possibility of building myself one as i do not have required tools and i have no experience in metal work. I guess i should keep looking for a faulty amp which i can recycle. I am looking for a small form factor (e.g Cyrus amps) but at the moment nothing suitable is listed on ebay. If anyone comes across a faulty amp going cheap, please let me know.

mubeen1983

Where are you roughly in the UK and do you have a tip nearby? You wouldn't believe the things people throw away these days but you have to be quick before the tip staff get hold of it.

Another alternative is to track down a local craft fair and find yourself a wood or metal worker who likes a challenge (theres a wood turner in every town but they are tucked away in their shed making chippings and are hard to spot)

Have you seen Nuuks "ProPods" on Decibel Dungeon? They're very nice indeed and an unusual stylish alternative to the typical black box.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/propods.html

It may be worth posting in the trading post section to see if anyone has any enclosures they would be willing to sell or trade.

John

I got my transformer from www.rswww.com you get it next working day and prices arnt to bad, transformer is cracking aswell.

DSC00842.jpg

cost me £30 posted.

john blackburn said:
mubeen1983

Where are you roughly in the UK and do you have a tip nearby? You wouldn't believe the things people throw away these days but you have to be quick before the tip staff get hold of it.

Another alternative is to track down a local craft fair and find yourself a wood or metal worker who likes a challenge (theres a wood turner in every town but they are tucked away in their shed making chippings and are hard to spot)

Have you seen Nuuks "ProPods" on Decibel Dungeon? They're very nice indeed and an unusual stylish alternative to the typical black box.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/propods.html

It may be worth posting in the trading post section to see if anyone has any enclosures they would be willing to sell or trade.

John

Hello John,

Thanks for valuable suggestions. I live in Guildford. I did a quick google search for a tip nearby and there is one in Guildford indeed! I have never been to a tip before. Do they allows public to enter and pick up sruff from there? I am not looking for anything exotic, just a decent metal case, so chances are i may probably get something there.

The alternative sounds cool to me. I will keep an eye on local craft fair and see if i can locate any local wood and metal workers.

I have not had a look at Nuuks site yet as i am at work and his site is blocked here. :xeye:

I will try posting on trader forum. I am sure with all the great help here, i will find something very soon.

Thanks
Mubeen

mubeen1983

Ah the ancient art of skip diving. You will get so you can't walk past a washer or screw in the road. You will see a piece of metal somewhere and think "If it was bent there, had a bit welded on, had a hole there and some ground off it there, then maybe it would come in useful for something one day" Turn back while you still can, this way lies madness.

Nuuk, you've done it now. I had heard of Freecycle a while ago but it had slipped my mind, I'm away to sign up and see what other hoardable things there are on offer. I'm musing on a steam punk themed set up but I haven't seen the right starting point..... yet.

John

Getting components can be a bit funny. Hilarious.

I buy components all the time from Farnell at work. One day I wanted some stuff for a development which was work related, but which I didn't want to have to justify immediately, sometimes a fait accompli is required. I ordered the components and filled in a fake company ID on the Farnell web page at my home address because that's what the site forces you to do if you want the components.

A few days after I recieved the goods Farnell called on my home phone. I was home, unusually, and my wife passed the phone to me. They 'just' wanted to know my job title. I passed that test, and that was it... but they were actually checking up on me.

Once I phoned up a company to enquire about availability of a fairly outré IC only to be asked by a very suspicious sounding individual, "What do you want that for then?" It was almost an accusation.

???

There is, in some quarters of the electronics industry, a certain attitude.

'We don't sell these to just anybody, you know!'

What could possibly be the reason for Farnell to actively discourage trade with individuals vs. companies?

It's beyond me, but fortunately it's not illegal to lie in these circumstances, which I have done in the past with satisfaction exceeding that of merely obtaining the component.

w

john blackburn said:
mubeen1983

Ah the ancient art of skip diving. You will get so you can't walk past a washer or screw in the road. You will see a piece of metal somewhere and think "If it was bent there, had a bit welded on, had a hole there and some ground off it there, then maybe it would come in useful for something one day" Turn back while you still can, this way lies madness.

Nuuk, you've done it now. I had heard of Freecycle a while ago but it had slipped my mind, I'm away to sign up and see what other hoardable things there are on offer. I'm musing on a steam punk themed set up but I haven't seen the right starting point..... yet.

John

John, thats so true. i am starting to look at every bit and piece i come across, thinking how it can be used to carve out a nice case for my project :). I even had a look around my house to see if there is something potentially usable stashed somewhere. Its the madness that makes things possible ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.