Help needed - DIY parts sources in UK??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wakibaki said:
Getting components can be a bit funny. Hilarious.

I buy components all the time from Farnell at work. One day I wanted some stuff for a development which was work related, but which I didn't want to have to justify immediately, sometimes a fait accompli is required. I ordered the components and filled in a fake company ID on the Farnell web page at my home address because that's what the site forces you to do if you want the components.

A few days after I recieved the goods Farnell called on my home phone. I was home, unusually, and my wife passed the phone to me. They 'just' wanted to know my job title. I passed that test, and that was it... but they were actually checking up on me.

Once I phoned up a company to enquire about availability of a fairly outré IC only to be asked by a very suspicious sounding individual, "What do you want that for then?" It was almost an accusation.

???

There is, in some quarters of the electronics industry, a certain attitude.

'We don't sell these to just anybody, you know!'

What could possibly be the reason for Farnell to actively discourage trade with individuals vs. companies?

It's beyond me, but fortunately it's not illegal to lie in these circumstances, which I have done in the past with satisfaction exceeding that of merely obtaining the component.

w

Thats seriously hilarious :D How can they not sell the products to common people? Thats the sole purpose of having a retail website! I was going to buy a trafo from Farnell, but then ordered it from Airlink as it was few quids cheaper there. Just for the fun, i would order something from Farnell sometime and would test my acting skills.

'We don't sell these to just anybody, you know!' -- we are not anybody, we are DIYers :D

Re: Casing

andySweden said:
Hi!

Here's a site in Italy which is quite popular to order from (in Sweden): audiokit.it

Many satisfied costumers since they keep a good quality to price ratio. If you're sending a big cabinet in the UK, you will still pay up, so there'll be not too much extra shipping cost for you either.

All the best in your project:)!
Sincerely
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thats actually a great site for DIY parts. Thanks very much for the info. Guys check out the website if you have not already. Great collection of cases and enclosures. Specially check the loudspeaker section. i was drooling!

Mubeen

I even had a look around my house to see if there is something potentially usable

I have a playstation power supply built into one of those large carved wooden trinket boxes hippies keep "things" in. Its got a smashing carved elephant on it and so far I have resisted the temptation to put a power light in its a**e for that charming babboon effect.

It looks better on the shelf than a plain metal enclosure would and it was free to boot. The thing with wooden enclosures is the correct safety ground arrangements are an extra stage of complication but are VITAL as an aid to survival.

Check out the various chipamp galleries for styling inspiration. Theres everything from Mad Max with enough leds to fade your curtains to understated elegance and all things in between. You can have something that looks as good as it sounds, or you could have one of mine!

John

wakibaki said:
Getting components can be a bit funny. Hilarious.

I buy components all the time from Farnell at work. One day I wanted some stuff for a development which was work related, but which I didn't want to have to justify immediately, sometimes a fait accompli is required. I ordered the components and filled in a fake company ID on the Farnell web page at my home address because that's what the site forces you to do if you want the components.

A few days after I recieved the goods Farnell called on my home phone. I was home, unusually, and my wife passed the phone to me. They 'just' wanted to know my job title. I passed that test, and that was it... but they were actually checking up on me.

Once I phoned up a company to enquire about availability of a fairly outré IC only to be asked by a very suspicious sounding individual, "What do you want that for then?" It was almost an accusation.

???

There is, in some quarters of the electronics industry, a certain attitude.

'We don't sell these to just anybody, you know!'

What could possibly be the reason for Farnell to actively discourage trade with individuals vs. companies?

It's beyond me, but fortunately it's not illegal to lie in these circumstances, which I have done in the past with satisfaction exceeding that of merely obtaining the component.

w

Wierd. A while back I asked Farnell if they had any objection to orders from hobbyists. They replied back saying that hobbyists were welcome to buy anything they wanted, but to be aware that there was a minimum £20 order.

I asked Onsemi the same thing about their samples programme, and recieved the reply "You are most welcome, as todays hobbyists might well be tomorrows industry customer"

jaycee said:

A while back I asked Farnell if they had any objection to orders from hobbyists. They replied back saying that hobbyists were welcome to buy anything they wanted, but to be aware that there was a minimum £20 order.

You are right. I did Farnell an injustice. I revisited their site and discovered that you are not obliged to represent yourself as a company to obtain components from them, it is just easier in some ways.

Many manufacturers are indeed very good about providing free samples.

My experience of the Farnell website was probably couloured by the different responses I have encountered when trying to buy components as a private individual as opposed to in the course of my job.

As little as 15 years ago many manufacturers datasheets and books were virtually unobtainable by members of the public. Even university libraries had difficulty providing them to students.

The internet has undoubtedly changed things, and the attitude I portrayed is fortunately rarer, although not yet, I think, extinct.

w

Have you got your transformer yet? I have one which is buzzing/humming but none of my others do. Its from Farnell, which I didn't think would be a problem. I told someone and they said the core could have cracked. Its definately not normal the noise its making though it does work properly otherwise.

Anyhow, it needs replacing, could you let me know how quiet your Airlink one is and also how well its packaged? They are more expensive but look good and say they use a steel core rather than mine which is presumably powdered iron or something (assuming it has cracked).

I've had a delivery from Farnell today, no problems at all. As far as I am aware the only restriction is a £20 minimum purchase for card over the website sales.

They have always been quick on the service, it's well packaged and there has never been one part out of stock so you have to wait 3 weeks for them to get it and post it on.

John

They have always been quick on the service, it's well packaged and there has never been one part out of stock so you have to wait 3 weeks for them to get it and post it on.

I've not been so lucky with parts always being in stock! But generally their service is very good, and their telephone sales people friendly and helpful.

My main gripe would be trying to find something on their site. The CD catalogues they used to do made searching for stuff much easier, their paper catalogues is still easier than using the web site.

Oh, and how I wish you could order CPC (sister company) items through Farnell and avoid postage costs! ;)

john blackburn said:
mubeen1983

Where are you roughly in the UK and do you have a tip nearby? You wouldn't believe the things people throw away these days but you have to be quick before the tip staff get hold of it.

John, i called the local recycling center in Guildford this morning and they told me that i cant take anything out of the premises. Guy on the phone said its against policies to take anything out and there is no way to do this (even if i agreed to pay for the stuff) :(

Its a shame as this option would probably have worked for me.

Dr.EM said:
Have you got your transformer yet? I have one which is buzzing/humming but none of my others do. Its from Farnell, which I didn't think would be a problem. I told someone and they said the core could have cracked. Its definately not normal the noise its making though it does work properly otherwise.

Anyhow, it needs replacing, could you let me know how quiet your Airlink one is and also how well its packaged? They are more expensive but look good and say they use a steel core rather than mine which is presumably powdered iron or something (assuming it has cracked).

I am still waiting for the transformer from Airlink. I placed order on Wed last week and it says 2-3 working days delivery, so hopefully should arrive on Monday.

I will let you know how my tranformer works, but it doesnt look like it would be anytime soon as i still have got to sort out the casing. I will let you know anyway.

John, i called the local recycling center in Guildford this morning and they told me that i cant take anything out of the premises. Guy on the phone said its against policies to take anything out and there is no way to do this

Thats one hell of a recycling policy! It seems they are more concerned with collecting scrap for resale rather than any recycling efforts.

Came by these whilst having a search, not to say any are what you want but they are different approaches to the task and may just spark an idea. If not for this build maybe the next, or the one after that........

http://www.vikash.info/audio/tatca/images.asp
http://ta2020.huuryuu.com/index_e.html
http://www.electrosonicamplifiers.com/customs.php
http://www.mecha.co.nz/archives/000095.html

You will know better how big it needs to be once you have all your parts on the table. Make it bigger than you think it needs to be, it makes the job easier if you have space to work.
Keep in mind that you need to keep mains wiring away from signal wiring, dont have your transformer near signal wires or chips etc. Lay out the parts and shuffle them around whilst considering cable runs and the like.

It's worth the effort, its a superb/surprising feeling when it works and it will sound better than anything you have ever heard, so take your time and keep us posted with your progress.

John

Thanks very much John :up: Appreciate your help on this.

I spent most of my time yesterday searching for a faulty amp. I also posted a message on Freecycle and was offerred an Aiwa music system :) but it was not a separate one so i did not take it. Then luckily i found a faulty CA A5 amp! It has one chanel busted but looks in good nick. I am off to collect it this afternoon. Hopefully, it should provide more than just a case. i can reuse connectors, wires, heat sink, volume pot and whatever i can find inside. I will post some pics later.

I reallt liked Vikash's design though. Beautiful and small, but separates the power supply, which i guess could be beneficial. I would probably try that for my next build.

I would probably try that for my next build

Another victim of DiyAudio. My name is John and I haven't made a chipamp for 3 weeks......but I've got some chips just in case.

The scrap amp will hopefully get you largely sorted for this one, I will keep my fingers crossed for a nice heatsink for reuse.

Read up on safety grounding when you get a moment, there are loads of posts regarding it on here.

John

Guys, i picked up the faulty amp today for 20 quid! :smash: Its in very good cosmetic condition, but with one channel busted. Opened it up and a glimpse at the guts revealed that it does not have all premium parts inside. Afterall, its a cheap amp anyway. But still it provides me with a case to build into, which is most important for me. It also has a transformer which looks good. I have not checked the voltage yet. I will do it tonight. Volume pot is not an Alps one, but looks decent. Its a 100K dual pot. Here are a few pics..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At first glance I would have reservations about the heatsink being up to the task, possibly too small for two chips. Someone more skilled than I might well chip in. It is screaming out for the word Cambridge crossing out and "mubeen1983" writing in tipex below it!

Other than that I would say you are off to a flying start with the job.

John

Folks,

Having put some effort every night after work, i finally finished my first 'Gain clone' amplifier tonight, actually just a while ago! :D :smash: :cloud9:

First i would like to thank Peter Daniel for the kit and wonderful instruction thread, which really proved to be very helpful during the build. And thanks to all wonderful members here for there invaluable suggestions and help, without which it could not have been possible.
Ok enought of formality now, back to business :D

I finished it in 5 days, working bit by bit every evening. Tonight i connected everything together, including the power supply. The moment of truth was when i turned it on, wishing that all my hard work doesnt end up in smoke. But fortunately nothing happnened. Then i checked DC offset - well in limit. All good so far. Connected my iPod through RCA input and music flew through test speaker! yeah!! i jumped and danced around! :D Pleasure of building something and getting to work it first time cant be described in words, it can only be felt i think, and thats the reason people are mad about this DIY madness.

Second thing to check was humming. I worryingly put my ears to speakers while connected at full throttle (the amp is currently working as power amp - no volume pots). No hum, nada, nothing. Silence waiting for the musical notes to flow. (thanks to chaps who posted grounding instructions, it really helped)

Below is the pic of working amplifier. OK, its ugly i know ;) But i had to build it from a faulty CA amp. And i did not want to spend much money due to the fact that i had never heard a chip amp before, so i was not sure if i would like it or not. I wanted to give it a shot with basic components and casing at hand to save cost. I thought, if i liked it, then i would go ahead and build a beautiful case for it. If not, then i would just scrap it without much loss. So.. now i am listening to it and what do i think?? well i am going to build a beautiful case for it! :) Its worth it. I am also going to use good quality components and wiring which should add that extra ounce of fidelity to it.

My impression of the sound is pretty much same as others here.. very musical, phenomenal bass and vocal performance. Trebel could be a bit better but still its very much hi-fi to my ears. To conclude, its easier to listen to and has a sense of music. Its cery clean and beautifully resolving, i can hear every single nuance. Stands proudly among my other Creek and Exposure amps which cost 5-6 times the price of this little genius. Duh, when did i start talking all this hi-fi gibberish?? must be this amp which taught me :D

Looking forward to build an artistic case for this little wonder.

:cheers:

IMG_2156.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.