LM3886 bass amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need/want to build a power amp to drive a 150w/8ohm bass speaker, can the LM3886 kit do this?

I understand any power amp would do the job, but everything I have read relates to hi-fi amps. Does this matter? I'm not looking for bells n whistles just something to boost the preamp into the speaker (sounds simple I know!)

A pointer in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

The LM3886 is normally used for 4 ohm load but can be used for 8ohm with less output power.

If you want you could use their bridge/parralel configuration to get your required 150W but in my opinion the few gainclone I have built kinda lack the bass punch required for a sub. I would recommend going with a Class D amp for a sub.

Regards,
Eric

I should also point out that getting 150W is not necessary, getting sound is! 50W will be fine for the moment, even 20W would do to start.

This is for a bass guitar, not some kinda sub woofer, does this matter, does the speaker care?

I have just finished a college course in electronics, so know mostly what is going on here, although none of the stuff I did was specifically amp design, I just need a eureka moment to meld all this together.

Thanks

LM3886 and LM3875 will do just fine. The lack of punch is only an issue, if you make one of those gaincard copies with 1000 µF per rail. If you need more punch, increase the power supply capacitor(s) to a reasonable value. For a bass guitar you won't need the "magic in mids and highs" that people use as an argument for low capacity power supplies.

Both ICs are designed for 8 Ohm loads and give you the 50 W you want (@1%THD) with a transformer from 2x26 V upwards. 160 VA will be sufficient. If the 50 W should be peak only (@10%THD), use 2x20V. 80VA will do then.

Don't use a transformer with more than 2x30 V.

With 4 Ohm loads you have to be more careful about heatsinking than usual. That's one of the main reasons why BPA-200 exists. And with 4 Ohms you shouldn't use a transformer with more than 2x20 V for LM3875.

The applications notes and the Overture Design Guide on http://www.national.com/analog/audio/ will be helpful.

thomasst said:
IThis is for a bass guitar, not some kinda sub woofer, does this matter, does the speaker care?
50W is insufficient for a bass guitar amplifier if used on stage for monitoring and especially if it's used to provide audience sound if not going through FOH. In the studio it's predominantly DI'd. Would be fine as a solo practice amp.

I don"t think it is really power that gives you punch it"s the EQ ...... I have played 50w bass amps that had more punch than some 400w bass amps ......

Pluss paralell amps is MUCH harder to do successfully than Bridge amps , with paralell amps you have to match most of the resistors to 0.1% or better which is especially hard to do with the output resistor ......

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.