Small Active Speaker (first post) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm trying to work out how to cut the holes to fit the drivers in had some failed test using a router. any ideas?
Probably just too thick for a Rotozip so I would suggest a jigsaw with a narrow blade.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I always cut the hole before attaching the front piece.... I know that doesn't help now though.
I use a router on a circle jig I made - basically you pivot the jig around the centre of the hole, and the router can't go anywhere bar where you want it to. Before you do the actual hole you can also rout a rebate to set the driver in, ie flush mount it.

For an 88mm hole - have you tried sourcing a holesaw to do it???
Old 9th July 2008, 12:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I cant find any 88 mm holesaws, found a 89mm one but that just aint good enough. Gonna make a jig for the router and have a little bit of practice before i take blade back to the box.

iIadded a switch and a potentiometer to the amp ive got it so there are two inputs. One with the potentiometer volume ajustment and the original.

Any idea how i would add a power LED to it? (so i can see when its off and on or even asleep and awake)

I'm really enjoying making this. i'll try and get more pics soon, i should be having a custom paint job done to finnish it off, got an artist that owes me a favour.

thanks for the help
Old 9th July 2008, 02:30 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

For the LED get lets say a 3mm or 5mm led and pass about 2-5mA into it. Just connect a 4800 ohm or 5100 resistor from the +14.5Vdc and connect it to the longuest pin of the led. The other pin of the led goes to ground. If too bright, increase the resitor. Make sure the resistor is at least 50mW or it will come too hot.

Regards,
Eric
Old 10th July 2008, 11:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Got the speakers in the box!!
Sounding very good, but its going to need some dampering on the inside back.

Very impressed with the drivers got them for a bargin of ebay. Great bit of bass for 4inch. They can handle the Amp at full wack.

Now i got to sort out batteries and possibly solar panels but they going to have to be small ones.

For batteries i was thinking 3 2400mAh 3.7V Battery(18650) there are loads of them on ebay going quite cheap.

And for solar power/charging i was thinking 4 Sunshine Monocrystalline Solar Module 3.76v 80mA from sunshinesolar.co.uk

e_fortier thanks for the reply but i've decided i wont need an LED after all as the amp will always have power from the batteries and will just be put in to sleep.

Matt
Old 11th July 2008, 12:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I ended up using a dremel with a circle cutting attachment.
here are a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00168.jpg (92.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 11th July 2008, 12:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

and a pic of the unpainted but finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00177.jpg (76.6 KB, 198 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!