Transformer problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am about to build an invert gainclone using OPA 541. I have a problem finding a good quality transformer in my country. As we know transformer does effect the sound of the amp so much. So I decide to use an old transformer from my old class A Electrocompanient amp which shold be very good quality.

But the problem is its secondary are 35V-0 3.5A 35V-0 3.5A too high for my use I want it like 16V to 20V.
Is there any way can I reduce the voltage to 16V-0 16V-0 without trade of the sound quality???

And the primary of the transformer is 110V-0 but my country use 220V AC, anyway, in the amp has a circuit to reduce the ac input voltage to 110V. My question is is it gona reduce the sound quality if I use that circuit with my gainclone too???

Please help :D

Thanks so much Nuuk.

I just went through the web and found MULTICOMP Toroidal transformer.
It quite expensive, around USD120.
Does anyone has experiences about this brand of transformer???

And what should be the voltage using with OPA541 inverted schematic?
I plan around 14V-18V coz I aim for more natural and relax sound like SET amp, Is it too low?

The probles are about the quality of the transformer wound in my country.
I choose the most well known company but their transformers are very poor quality.
-Always +20% voltage to the order spec, once I order a 5V transformer for my 300B filaments and guess what I get 5.96V.
-They shake right after the switch turned on and get very hot after 10mins.
-And their price is not cheap at all USD30-80.

I am not sure if this characteristic considered poor quality by others but they are really annoying me very much.

So I decide to pay hard but just one time.

Anyway, what is the gain u set on your OPA541 amps?
Can you suggest me the resistors value???

Millions thanks :)

Hi 5150,
the open circuit voltage of transformers is always higher than the loaded voltage.
The ratio between these two voltages is the regulation figure quoted in the specification.

An EI tends to have higher regulation than an equivalent VA toroid.
A small VA transformer always has a higher regulation than a larger version built to the same spec.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.