First time amp builder... Is this a good size project? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2008, 04:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First time amp builder... Is this a good size project?

Hey guys I really hope this isn’t too much of a newbie question. I have an old Logitech Z680 kicking around which suddenly died one day for some unknown reason. I think from what I have found here and on the net that there are a few TDA7293s in it which could be (hopefully) turned into a new amp made by yours truly. From what I can tell the transformer etc. still all work, the thing just won’t power on at all.

It has been years since I have done anything electronic (work and school have killed a few hobbies) but from what I have read these are not terribly hard chips to work with. I would really like to learn about diy amps etc. Can anyone point me towards a set of PCBs (ideally ones I can order) for these chips? Is this type of amp within the capabilities of an amateur? Anyone in the Kitchener / Waterloo / Guelph area bored this month?

Also, from what I can tell, all of the “computing” happens in the head unit, can I salvage that to have a THX/DTS decoder? Has anyone tried something like that before? I was thinking something like repackage the head in a nice box along with a small transformer to power it (I think it's 18v) and just have the signals for each speaker channel available in pairs through headphone jacks (the way it already has inputs from a soundcard) for powering my DIY amp or my other ss system (without any real surround). This would be cool because I could use optical / digital co-ax as inputs.

Am I biting off too much for a first stab at this?

Thanks, Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!