Power supply for LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Seems that I did something silly when purchasing my transformer. I seemed to have purchased a transformer rated at 35Vrms when I though it was 35Vpeak...oops. Anyways, just curious what you guys think I should to do bring down the 50Vdc I'm getting to the 35V that I want. Figure since the max the LM3886 can take is between 80 and 90 volts...100 might be a bit too much.

I was thinking of just using some high value resistors to step it down, or should I suck it up and get the correct rated transformer at 25Vrms? This is my first chip amp so I figure someone may have run into the same silly mistake and have a suggestion :)

Thanks!

Blair

brconner said:
Hi,

Seems that I did something silly when purchasing my transformer. I seemed to have purchased a transformer rated at 35Vrms when I though it was 35Vpeak...oops. Anyways, just curious what you guys think I should to do bring down the 50Vdc I'm getting to the 35V that I want. Figure since the max the LM3886 can take is between 80 and 90 volts...100 might be a bit too much.

I was thinking of just using some high value resistors to step it down, or should I suck it up and get the correct rated transformer at 25Vrms? This is my first chip amp so I figure someone may have run into the same silly mistake and have a suggestion :)

Thanks!

Blair

Best thing is to return it if you can and swap for 25v.
Forget resistors... just not an option.

Last resort, take some turns off the secondaries. Torroidals are very easy to do in this respect.

Frank

How about a nice lightbulb or two...

Seriously though, dropping the necessary 15V is not a trivial matter. It can be done, using a fully regulated supply, but having tried one on a chip amp, personally, I didnt like the sound.

You can also 'adjust' the voltage out of a PSU using a CRC section at input, but again, the R will get hot - hence the lamp suggestion...

The primary problem is that as this is an AB amp (mainly B actually) the PSU draw is not constant.

A long winded way of saying, get the other thransformers....

Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.