Commercial gainclone chassis options??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have searched the web, this forum, ebay, etc. and have seemingly failed to find a cost effective solution.

I would like to build either the lm3886 or the 3875 gainclone and want a commercial gainclone chassis, preferably aluminum.

I know there are many websites that have them available for >40 dollars, but I want a "cost-effective" solution, if possible.

I only need a simple chassis, no frills, no pre-drills, but hopefully aluminum face/rear and/or side plates.

I don't want to have to customize all panels myself, source the panels locally, then cut/drill, etc. I mean I can....but I haven't priced that out yet.

Here are my two top choices from ebay (shipped from Hong Kong).
230257909728 and 330240785006..... both the same seller, one is smaller than the other.

My last question is... what dimensions would be minimum? I assume 2" height (toroid/heatsink clearance) and about 4 in width. It is the length that I am unsure of..? The smaller of the ones above has dimensions of 3.6W x 6L x 2H (internal), which probably won't work as the 250va toroids are about 3.75" diam.

Any help would be great. A related question, is what cutter do you guys use to drill odd holes for the IEC power cord receptacle in solid aluminum?

Thanks, Jake

You could make the bigger case work, but it is going to be crowded for a stereo setup. Think of it as a fun challenge or puzzle.

As for the minimum size, it all really depends on what you plan on stuffing in the chassis and what you want it to look like. Aesthetics can be very important for some.

I find it easiest to purchase all the other components first then arrange them to see what size enclosure will work best.

My two channel amp is in an enclosure that is 9.5x6x2.5in external, and there is not much room to spare inside.

Take a look at the photo gallery here and see all the different shapes and sizes people used.

As for inexpensive enclosures have you considered reusing old electronic gear. Recycling is a great resource for diy and sometimes free :)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Dual Mono Gainclone in a pair of Hammond 1455T2201.

I have used the Avel Lindberg toroid from Apex Jr in this enclosure for a single channel. Look nice and very professional, you have to drill your holes and cut out your IEC Connector.

Oh, and they are around $25 each.

link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.