Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2008, 01:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default reccomend small chip amp for unusual job.

I need 6 small 1-3w amplifiers they are going in to a guitar for a sustainer device.

there is one channel for each string so i need 6 of them! multiple amps per package would be good. and the less external components the better.

can be powered from +- 9v
can power electromagnet coils (im thinking relay coils of some type)
pretty much what a speaker load would look like

digital would be great to save battery life. using 9v rechargeables.

distortion doesn't matter as long as its below around 1%

the pick guard of the guitar is solid aluminium, (big strat type) so it can serve as a heatsink.

maybe theres something they use for those crappy little surround systems with tall speakers or cheap tvs/radios

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Old 1st June 2008, 04:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The first device that comes to my mind is the TI TPA1517.

It has the output power you're looking for and requires minimal external components. You could power it with your two rechargeable 9v batteries in series. The only limitation of the IC is the gain is internally fixed at 20dB. If 20dB is enough for your application, then I think it's a good candidate.
Old 1st June 2008, 05:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

fixed gain might not do it, the output of the preamp has almost the voltage i need just not the current.
i wouldnt want to atenuate and then amplify again, I think i need a gain of around 2-5
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

actually i can live with that. it comes in DIP, and needs almost no other components, ill try it
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: reccomend small chip amp for unusual job.

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
using 9v rechargeables.
Can't think of a suggestion of the PA OTTOMH, but consider powering it offboard. A 3 wire lead and jack would do it, with greatly reduced chance of it failing on stage, or limiting yourself because of batteries.

My Alembic bass eats the two batteries in about 40 hours, so I never even install them and just use the external supply.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
The first device that comes to my mind is the TI TPA1517.

It has the output power you're looking for and requires minimal external components. You could power it with your two rechargeable 9v batteries in series. The only limitation of the IC is the gain is internally fixed at 20dB. If 20dB is enough for your application, then I think it's a good candidate.

I built a small amp 'dead-bug' style with one of those,on a piece of copper-clad PCB material.. The whole circuit is about the size of a small book of matches.
Another thought is the LM4950 you can get it in TO220,or the smaller SMD version. each chip is two channels,and only needs a few parts.
one of the LM4950's 'cousins' might work too.

Hmm..
KA2209
TDA2822
TEA2025
LA4480,though it might be a bit large.

Some possibilities,Just off the top of my head.
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Woweeeeeee

I just built up one of these small TPA1517 amps and I am shocked to say the least. I was expecting it to sound like an anemic clock radio. This little IC has PUNCH!!

First, let me say this officially counts as my first ever "chipamp" build. I mean I have built dozens of Tripath class-d amps and a handful of various headphone amps, but never a linear chipamp powerful enough for speakers.

I've had a tube of these sitting around for ~2 years but never had the ambition to do anything with them; I figured it would be a waste of time. Boy was I wrong. I didn't think it would play this loud single ended into an 8R load off a 14v supply. I'm playing some bass heavy "Dubstep" music through it right now on a pair of passive 3-ways and it has no problem keeping up.

I think I will build up some differential input BTL boards and run a dual mono setup. I already have an OPA1632 single ended input to differential output board built that I will use for the front end.

Here is a pic of my P2P job.......

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you really want small, easy gain setting then look into the LM4954. Single supply but check it out. You could probably fit 6 of these chip in the DIP space. A little harder to solder tho.

-SL
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SpittinLLama
If you really want small, easy gain setting then look into the LM4954. Single supply but check it out. You could probably fit 6 of these chip in the DIP space. A little harder to solder tho.

-SL
That looks much better suited for his application. The biggest advantage being no need for bulky output capacitors. Too bad it only comes in the micro SMD package.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ah, yeah, that could be a real problem for a DIY type of job. Maybe the LM4951? It comes in a bigger package but still might be too hard to solder.

-SL

Hide this!Advertise here!