Beginner's Gainclone, HiFi LM1875, The Amplifier Board - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2013, 03:17 AM   #231
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

I broke a pin off the chip trying to spread them further apart. Better order a couple more.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:08 PM   #232
diyAudio Member

Daniel can you give your input here it would be great if you can shed some light on this predicament
tda 2030 help
Old 31st March 2013, 03:29 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
I broke a pin off the chip trying to spread them further apart. Better order a couple more.
Those pins flex twice easily, but not a third time.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:52 AM   #234
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

May I suggest this lightweight precision tool for your next chipamp build?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st April 2013, 01:32 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogq View Post
Daniel can you give your input here it would be great if you can shed some light on this predicament
tda 2030 help
no computer? no access to PDF files? limited research available by smartphone?
In that case, you'll probably want to explore kits, like these:
Velleman 2 x 30 Watt Stereo Audio Amplifier Kit Education Hobby Kits Education | eBay
LM1875 Power Amplifier DIY Components Kit LM1875T 20W | eBay
Mono Audio Power Amplifier 20W 2X TDA 2003 Assembling Kit Circuit HK1002 | eBay
15W Bride Stereo Amplifier TDA2005 Un Assembled Kit PCB 9 16VDC 2A | eBay
Old 1st April 2013, 05:16 PM   #236
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

good idea. I might have to stick with kits for the time being- have ordered a kit from Peter Daniels so this one will sit on the shelf for a while. I plugged in the one working amp again and it has failed as well. Some day I will try and get back to these little guys.

Thanks to everyone for all your help
Old 1st April 2013, 06:08 PM   #237
fortney is offline fortney  United States
diyAudio Member

There is nothing wrong with doing a kit. You can labor over the case and proper grounding to assure DIY satisfaction

F
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:08 AM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
good idea. I might have to stick with kits for the time being- have ordered a kit from Peter Daniels so this one will sit on the shelf for a while. I plugged in the one working amp again and it has failed as well. Some day I will try and get back to these little guys. Thanks to everyone for all your help
The Peter Daniels kit from AudioSector is also going to require adequate split rail power. The failure modes are identical for both LM1875 and LM3875. Likewise, check for DC offset before connecting speaker, and consider using speaker protection of some sort. After you've learned the split rail power circuit, you can fix your LM1875's.
Old 11th April 2013, 02:22 AM   #239
diyAudio Member

HA! I have either a short somewhere in the circuit, or a shorted chip... Id guess anyways. Pretty sure I shouldn't see 26 vdc at the speaker output!! But then, I ordered spare chips.
Gahhhh.
Old 12th April 2013, 08:12 AM   #240
diyAudio Member

Sounds like overcurrent breakage. What's your transformer's current and voltage and va? And, did you use fuses? Are your speakers 4 ohms or 8 ohms?
LM1875 must not be the weakest link in the chain, but that could happen if run with a too strong transformer or too much load or no fuses.

There's a tiny bit of protection hidden in the power supply example at post1; for example it is a center tap config (less current than dual) and it has the CRC resistors (less current and less noise too). We should also use conservative transformer amperage and fuses.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 12th April 2013 at 08:15 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!