sony str-k840p issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this might be the wrong forum for this posting - so mods, feel free to move it to the appropriate section

i have a sony str-k840p (5.1 av receiver)
i had the dreaded 'protect' problem

looked online and found that it was the IC amps that burned out
2x STK350-30

got some from a local parts supplied, replaced them.
it worked again

but the IC's got too hot to touch within 5 minutes of being turned on
so i bought some copper sheet metal to make fins for a heatsink

made them, installed them w/ a binder clip to each chip
was running some temperature tests and accidentally hit one of the fins into one of components on the daughter board. im not 100% sure which it hit, but im pretty sure.

there was a flash on the main board, but there isnt any burn marks - so im not 100% sure which component blew.

it just goes into protect mode again when turned on
(even if i remove the daughter card that has the STK's on it)

1. is there an easy way with a multi-meter to find out what chip was fried so i dont have to remove a dozen or so different ones?

i have a service manual, which has board diagrams and circuit layouts (but i dont have enough electronics knowledge to read them properly) with some help i hope to be able to figure out what component i hit and what it connects to that blew out on the mainboard

2. is this worth looking into and possibly being able to repair with $20 in components and whatever time. or should i just give up and go buy another 5.1 receiver that does dolby, dolby 5.1, dts, optical, digital coax, etc for $200 or so (or get one with hdmi and truehd for $500-600)

3. also - is there anyone in the atlanta area that would be willing to help me on this little project?

thanks,

I've never had luck with repair of Sony products. . .there are other
that have. . .luck of the draw I guess. . . certainly sounds repairable
if it worked once. . .sounds like you shorted something in the
power supply. . .+Ve to GND or -Ve to GND. . . might have
fried some transistors. . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.