Opamp?? FET vs Bipolar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guy's please shine some light on this for me. I have red somewhere that you should not swap out FET opamps with bipolar's. But I have never been able to find, or read the reasons why this is not a good practice. I have seen on other forums, where someone modded a sound card going form FET to bipolar. They said the modd has improved the sound card.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
evo9 said:
Hey guy's please shine some light on this for me. I have red somewhere that you should not swap out FET opamps with bipolar's. But I have never been able to find, or read the reasons why this is not a good practice. I have seen on other forums, where someone modded a sound card going form FET to bipolar. They said the modd has improved the sound card.

There is at least one technical reason: most bipolar opamps have orders of magnitude more input bias current than FET input opamps. Depending on the circuit details, the increased bias current can cause appreciable DC offset at the output. Again, depending on the circuit, this may or may not upset or even damage your system.

It should be clear that indiscrimiate changing of device types without having a good look to the consequences is a bit like playing Russian Roulette.

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Opamp?? FET vs Bipolar

janneman said:
It should be clear that indiscrimiate changing of device types without having a good look to the consequences is a bit like playing Russian Roulette.
agreed, informed decisions are usually better than guesswork.
eg. filters generally assume zero source impedance and infinite load impedance.
FET input stage gets closer to this than BJT for the load.
BJT output stage might be better than FET output stage for the source side. But are any opamps built with FET output stage?

You have a drawback with JFET's, higher distortion under certain conditions.

Walt Jung has written some about it.
http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/39-05/Web_Ch5_final_PtB_F.pdf
Page 5.108

What Walt Jung writes here is unknown to most people I should think. I hadn't heard it before I read it in Walts book.

Compare this when folks are tweaking and it got soooo much better. Sometimes maybe the distortion higher with a better opamp?

Thanks for answering guy's! I was about to swap out some opa2134ua with ad8599arz. Then I remember they were FET & Bipolar. I got some ad8066arz, I will use instead. I am trying to improve the sound of my pioneer car stereo.

Attachments

• dscf2541.03.jpg
    dscf2541.03.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,212
I have seen on other forums, where someone modded a sound card going form FET to bipolar. They said the modd has improved the sound..
Jfet input gives less annoying sound (more pleasant) but sometimes not so bright at high (or little dull). Bjt input usually is brighter sometimes warm bass but more annoying. The best one is keeps them in balance, when the sound not so annoyying also not so dull.
That was sound comparison as universal, their technical differences shown at their datasheet. TL071 is good jfet and NE5534 is good bjt.

Is the improvement work?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.