Music, filters and housing recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Music, filters and housing recommendations

I just finished my lm3886 gainclone, was such a quick, easy amplifier, and the results are amazing... I finally can see why I shouldn't have downloaded all the crap quality music I have, and stuck to higher bit rates, you can really hear the difference. A really, really high quality amplifier. After some fool dropped a table on my almost complete dxamp, it is really nice to be rewarded with some awesome sound.

So... Recommend me some nice music to give my amp a full swing. I listen to southern rock and many other dirty genres; they sound fantastic on the amp, but really dont give a full view of the amps clarity... I'm not very good at pretty music, so help me out

Oh, and any good pointers to woodworking topics.. I want to make the chassis out of wood, that I've already had cut, but I need some tips; point me somewhere, NOW!

Thanks for all the help guys... You didn't know I was here, but I lurked your tips away through my entire design
Old 15th May 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

oh, and in terms of filters; I wanted to play around with music tone; I like it, but I want to see what else I can do. Other than RC combos over inputs, outputs and the feedback resistor, what else can I look at. I have a pretty standard Lm3886 design, mostly derived from the datsheet and some tips
Old 15th May 2008, 04:46 PM   #3
ratza is offline ratza  Romania
diyAudio Member

First of all, use CD or SACD, forget about mp3's. Why don't you add an EQ if you want to change the tone?
Old 15th May 2008, 05:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately most of the music I like is only available through mp3s; I've got a couple of my CDs I have had imported, will give em a spin later.

In terms of an EQ, I'm using the Winamp based one for my mp3s, but implementing a real one would be nice. Would that be a preamp/buffer with signal conditioning; I don't really know how they're implemented in analogue; does it use variables caps, or res's, to build RC circuits? Can you point me to any useful resources?
Old 16th May 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
ratza is offline ratza  Romania
diyAudio Member

Well, if you only have access to mp3's, try to find the ones at 256kbps at least. You will still hear the compresion artifats though. I would suggest to keep the Winamp EQ on flat or disabled as it induces alot of distortion. Regarding the analog EQ, there are lots of versions and different kinds of implementation. Take a look and see which one is the best for you:
http://sound.westhost.com/project75.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/project97.htm
Old 17th May 2008, 04:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thats great, the graphic equaliser approach looks rather challenging; but I think I might give it a try, and maybe take it a little further; Digital Control of the equalizer. I'm pretty good with Micros, so I wouldnt mind putting In an LCD; with a graphic equalizer, histogram, and volume control, each displayed at seperate times, when required. Also would make an IR remote control soooo easy.

Of course, this would mean I'd need a nice LCD, which aren't cheap... Anyone ever harvested an LCD out of a broken I-Pod, would that work off a relatively simple micro? Would probably want something a little bigger anywho... better start saving

Also, I'm presuming that I will build a block for every frequency I'm filtering; so taking the 1/2 octave I'll need 20 sliders; which are damn expensive.. But using digital potentiometers I could get it done much more efficiently; 5 quads should cover it.

Anyone got any thoughts on Digital Pots for audio; especially in terms of a volume control?

Enclosure wise, I'm gonna try be a little creative; Still very early, and life never goes as planned, but: A wooden back, base and sides, with metal inset in the back for power cables, inputs and output (installing into wood can look shoddy) and for a nice earthing point. The top I want wood, but I need efficent ventilation, so any tips there would be nice. Finally, the front will be a wooden piece, to give the box studiness; but in front of that will be a reinforced glass front, darkened, and with the power LED, and volume knobs (not a pot, I want to do it digitally) and the LCD shining through it. Its ambitous I know, but It could look really cool... I'll keep you updated

Thanks ratza

Hide this!Advertise here!