BA5417 My first audio DIY project please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK here it goes
i'm trying to make an audio amplifier using this IC BA5417 its datasheet can be found at

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/B/A/5/4/BA5417.shtml

looking at the charachteristics given below i noticed that typical Quiescent current was 22mA so does that mean that i cant power it with a normal duracell plus 9V battery???
If not how do i power it.

Also looking at the circuit diagram below what does one do with pins 14 and 15
Is this a good idea will it work well enough.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 350
The diagram shows Pins 14 and 15 going to ground....You can probably power it with a 9v battery but I don"t think it would last very long and you probably couldn"t get it to it max power output, I would use 2x9v in paralell, or maybe a 12v Lithium rechargeable would be good....

BTL is the chip in "Bridge mode" ,which is useing both channels to power one speaker....

Cheers

Sure, BTL means Bridge Tied Load. Or simply put, it means Bridged. That would make each chip do mono, so it would take two chips. Bridge produces twice the speaker output power.

Let's reference a famous BTL amplifier, the Sonic T-amp. It has four amplifiers. They are in bridged pairs (bridge pair A, and bridge pair B), so it makes two channel stereo.

Why BTL? Bridged is popular for amplifiers running on low voltage, because bridged mode can double the speaker output power without having to increase voltage. Thus, low voltage can work quite well.

The 12v amplifiers are great for car and for computer, because of the relatively clean power already present.

When to use BTL? Its good for 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers with small amplifiers; however, its not necessary with 4 ohm speakers because of their already-increased load.

Hello amanmahadeshwar,

What will you use this for? Will it be for your auto or home? If for your home , will you operate small computer speakers or speakers for your television or speakers for "loud" music ?

Two small 9VDC batteries is not enough for any of those speakers.

OTL may give you 1W to 1.5 W of output (RMS) power with distortion you can accept.

BTL may give 2 times that with distortion you can accept.

A power supply for this ChipAmp would be a large 12vdc battery, a 9-12 VDC plug in wall transformer that can produce at least 2 Amps of current, or a fully built power supply (linear or SMPS).

Bruce

Sorry, I missed my edit time.

If at all possible, use a different ChipAmp. There are many available.

If you must use the BA5417, you also must know the impedance of the speakers, that will help determine power and heat output.

You may be able to use less than 2 Amp power supply depending on the continuous power required. That means what speakers and how loud.

I would definitely suggest BTL, which means you need 2 BA5417 chips to produce stereo.

Bruce

Hello amanmahadeshwar,

If this is in your house, you can use a wall plug in transformer.

Get 12VDC output @ 1-2 Amps. Does not need to be regulated.

Looks like pins14 and 15 are similiar to signal ground. (preamp grd.?)

If speakers are very close to you, use OTL design to save any money, time, space.

You need a piece of aluminum to mount the chipamp for heat dissipation.

So far, suggestions are to keep it simple and cheap.

For a portable PSU, I'd recommend a small sealed lead acid battery similar to the ones they use in emergency lighting and Little Tike vehicles, they average about 15-20Ah which means it would substantially drive the circuit for many hours. Using a voltage regulator/regulated PSU would significantly help.

Does anybody find it conceivable to use this chip as an input stage for a pair of Complementary Symmetry Toshiba Transistors bearing "2SB755/2SD845" ?

For a portable PSU, I'd recommend a small sealed lead acid battery similar to the ones they use in emergency lighting and Little Tike vehicles, they average about 15-20Ah which means it would substantially drive the circuit for many hours. Using a voltage regulator/regulated PSU would significantly help.

Does anybody find it conceivable to use this chip as an input stage for a pair of Complementary Symmetry Toshiba Transistors bearing "2SB755/2SD845" ?

You are aware this thread is over 5 years old? Anyhow, why would you use a regulator with a 12v battery and an IC rated up to 15v?

I wouldn't use that IC for anything. According to the datasheet graphs, it has pre clipping distortion going above 1% (even 2% with some loads) at some frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.