gainclone amp to drive B&W 802

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gainclone amp to drive B&W 802

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, i have been sniffing around for some time now and thought it was time to register and start being a part of it.

First post is a question which i couldn't really find:

I'm using B&W 802 for mastering purposes with a denon pma300v amp that is ok but not good enough, it lacks power to drive the 802's and the speakers deserve a better amp anyway.
I was checking out some big Rotel amps and hoped to find a good Bryston amp but the rotel's are not what i'm looking for and the brystons are to expensive or are gone before i can even contact the seller.

I'm really into DIY stuff, actually, i have done a LOT of hi-end studio stuff (some pics below) so i thought it might be interesting to do my own amp :cool:
I heard and read really good things about the gainclone amps so i'm thinking of doing a dual mono (2 in one case with 2 trafo's) gainclone.
The only thing is that i need some power so i was thinking of doing a 2 or 3 parallel version of the amp but couldn't find a real solution here so that is my question; what is a really good version of the gain clone to get like 150watt per channel?
What 'chip' should i use to get a clean sounding amp without colouring the sound (to much)
Getting parts is not that hard for me since i have my own company and so i can get parts from RS and know my way around online partshops.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Jeffrey

i know a bryston is a good thing to have but i know it's possible to build something like that myself (and is more fun, custom and cheaper)
Is there anything around that might be something like a bryston clone? I saw some groupbuys for krell stuff, sounds interesting as well.
Money is not a real big issue and building it either..
I'm p retty much experienced in DIY stuff, only thing is that i'm new to building amps and so i'm not familiar what is around. :D

BTW, the promissed pics can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122666

Personally i'd say Gainclones are only any use for domestic listening as you can only get about 50W into 8 ohms out of them before distortion rises.

Perhaps look at building the Leach Amp. Even better still if you can get the boards that Jens Rasmussen made with the new output transistors.

Note that DIY wont neccesarily be cheaper - the most expensive parts are case, heatsink and transformer unless you can aquire something used!

jaycee said:
Personally i'd say Gainclones are only any use for domestic listening as you can only get about 50W into 8 ohms out of them before distortion rises.

Perhaps look at building the Leach Amp. Even better still if you can get the boards that Jens Rasmussen made with the new output transistors.

Note that DIY wont neccesarily be cheaper - the most expensive parts are case, heatsink and transformer unless you can aquire something used!

OK, so no gain clone.. allready decided that.
What about the leach amp? have to do a serach on that one then..
And yep, DIY can be about the same price as something you bought in the shop but the quality is better, i simply know because a lot of studio equipment companys just use cheaper parts and leave feedback caps etc out to build it even cheaper (behringer for example).
What is also like about DIYing is the fact that you decide what it's gonna look like and searching and finding the right parts in the right places for less is cool.

My latest build is a fully expanded SSL compressor, better then the real thing, which is about 3000 euro, my build is the same and more for about 1000 euro.
For those who have seen the GSSL clone before, this one is totally different as you might have seen on the picture :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But to go on topic again in my own topic: a leach amp might be a good idea to do? Or is there something else i can take a look at?
A need an amp that has about 2x150watt rms and is transparent sounding, no coloring or warming the sound.

ttan98 said:
Use discrete transistor outputs min. 2 pairs of 2SC5200 and 2SA1943(or J4315/J4215 equivalent), driven by LME49810 chipset, this will give you 140-160/watt into 8 ohm using +/- 45V supply.

go this site for detail, I bought a pair of LME49810 myself to drive a single pair of output trans.

http://www.chip-pcb.cn/en/M-9810-C.htm

I will get about 70-80W into 8ohm using +/-4V supply.
That looks quite interesting indeed, how does it sound? That is important for me.

dagoose said:

That looks quite interesting indeed, how does it sound? That is important for me.

On the way to me, I should receive it next week, I can compare it with my gainclone, LM3886 AND LM3875.

A pair of o/p transistor claims to give me 100watts, with 45Vdc, I will power from 34Vdc, it should give me at least 60-70watts comparable to LM3886. The larger die from the o/p trans with give the amp higher peak current hence produce better dynamics and bass extension over the LM3886.

In the end possibly some tuning/tweaking some parts of the circuit in order to produce the sound I am after.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.