Testing the transformer for the first time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again

I am about to test the secondary output before connecting the PSU. I
have mounted the transformer on 5mm MDF. Should I connect the mains
earth to the transformer nut?

There is a 3.15A slow blow fuse in the IEC power inlet.

I have also constructed the light bulb tester as per Nuuk's website

Can you suggest any further safety recommendations?

Its quite scary doing this for the first time!

Thanks

Trip

Attachments

• dsc01359.jpg
    dsc01359.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 320
Hi,
plug in the light bulb.
Plug in the transformer to the light bulb.
Switch on at the wall socket.
The light bulb should not light nor should it flash, all is OK.

If the bulb lights or glows, then something is wrong.

If the primary is a dual winding type, then one pair of connections is effectively a short across the mains. The light bulb protects against this error and saves the fuse and transformer and you from damage.

If the secondaries are wired incorrectly or burned out then again the bulb protects from further damage.

Each time you add something to your project always use the light bulb for first power up.
It's response tells you a lot about the start up characteristics of the project.

I even wired PSU to Power Amp, +ve to -ve and -ve to +ve with the output catch diodes effectively acting as a dead short across the PSU and the bulb lit. No damage anywhere!!!!

A small modification to the light bulb circuit is worth considering.
Add a push and hold to make switch across the bulb live.
This allows start up through the bulb. If the bulb is out, then check equipment side voltages and temperatures. If all appears OK, then push the extra switch to apply full mains power momentarily to the transformer and check PSU voltage. It should now read final voltage. release switch and move voltmeter to another check point. push to measure again etc.

I asked a similar question about three years ago to find a safe way to start up a dual primary transformer and no-one at that time offered the light bulb solution. It came along some months later & I realised it was what I needed. Things move on.

Why not Nuuk? I thought it maybe wise to do so because its the main metallic component in the current setup.

Well it is only for testing your transformer is set up OK. My philosophy is not to make unnecessary connections that may complicate the issue. If it was your final build, then yes by all means make sure that you have a safety earth connected properly.

Nuuk said:

Well it is only for testing your transformer is set up OK. My philosophy is not to make unnecessary connections that may complicate the issue. If it was your final build, then yes by all means make sure that you have a safety earth connected properly.
Hi Nuuk,
where are the exposed conductive parts for connecting to the Safety Earth?

I connected both secondary pairs to the power supply boards, switched the red meter probe to the 10A DC port and set range to 20 DC volts. I inserted the red probe to the V+ and the black probe to PG+. You probably already know what happened next....The PG+ contact sparked and burnt off the gold solder pad.

Where did I go wrong?

I have enclosed some pictures

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 166
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi Tripmaster,

I normally don't plug the red lead into the 10A hole. FYI, I don't think the high amp socket is fused. I'm not sure if that is universal for all multimeters.

It will put out more than 20VDC.

If the light didn't light or the fuse blow when you turned it on then it is probably OK.

good luck
Greg

I have that meter. You were set on voltage (should be 200v range btw), but had the probe in the 10A port, not the VohmmA one. This is effectively a short circuit when placed in parallel (current goes straight through very low value resistor inside meter, may have damaged meter).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.