How connect the Gnd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys i finished my first GainClone! its an 5 channels amp, i tested 3 channels and everything are OK, no HUM or anything strange. Nice sound, cant test it at high vol levels because right now are 3AM and ppl are sleeping at home.

Btw, im finished the speakers connectors, and i have an question...

is OK to connect all the speakers GND Together and the Gnd come from the RCA Input?

When i tested the amp, i was using Gnd from the RCA Inputs.

Any advice will be welcomed, i will post some pics after finish the amp.

The case are from Wood so really dont know how to connect it using the most safe way. i want to the fule blow quickly if something go wrong :)

AndrewT said:
Hi,
use a light bulb in the mains supply for EVERY modification of your amplifier.

If the case is wood (electrical insulator) then where does the Safety Earth go to?
How have you connected all exposed conductive parts to the Safety Earth?

I already tested the amp, and works great, about the gnd dont connected anything yet :=D

if the case ar from wood i dont need to connect the Safety Earth right?

I want to finish it so i can take pics, but need to solve how connect all the gnd first so i can close the case.

Hi There,
sorry for jump in your thread,

Hi Mr Andrew,
Once i have safety earth education in my last project,
This is for my next project,
I see people separate the PSU in other casing,
sud we brings the safety earth to the amp case? which maybe metal or wooden.
where we install the power bank ( trafo, diode, caps, regulator ), psu box or main amp box?

Brgds
Eka

eketehe said:

Hi There,

Hi Mr Andrew,
where we install the power bank ( trafo, diode, caps, regulator ), psu box or main amp box?

Brgds
Eka

well, if you already do an Safe Hearth can you explain how you do it? :D

eketehe said:

Hi There,

Hi Mr Andrew,

Brgds
Eka

Hi eketehe,
Yes bring your safety earth in (if it is off-board)
Thanks
Gareth

AndrewT said:
I repeat the question.
some ideas in the later posts.

Do remember that even if you adopt shrouded/encased terminals for all the power amp connections, as soon as you plug in a speaker lead or an input interconnect, the far end becomes the lethal risk if a mains fault has developed inside your amp. And no effective fuse rupturing mechanism if the Safety Earth is omitted.

Do not try to replicate a double insulated appliance without the knowledge nor facilities to prove it is compliant and safe.

I know we are supposed to be tolerant and polite here, but I'm saying it anyway.
There are far too many dangerous idiots on this Forum that think they can DIY mains powered equipment without even recognising the risk to themselves nor their other users.

-----Do remember that even if you adopt shrouded/encased terminals for all the power amp connections, as soon as you plug in a speaker lead or an input interconnect, the far end becomes the lethal risk if a mains fault has developed inside your amp. And no effective fuse rupturing mechanism if the Safety Earth is omitted.-----

Hi Andrew,
Could you please expand on what you have stated here.
Thanks
Gareth

Well guys, i connected all the gnd (Speakers and Inputs) to the Center Taped conector.

Is OK to connect the 220V earth (the ones that come forom the wall plug connectors) to the Center Tap? if i dont do that think that dont have any protection, right?

The Sound of this amplifier are rally too much better than my old Yamaha RV595 (that i sell last week). I think that have a less bass but the high frequencies are really really better than the old yamaha.
Im really happy with the sound quality.

HEHE, i found that Safety Earth are the third wire coming from the mains :)

Hi Sam,
there is no reason to accept poor bass from your chipamp.
However, the Yam may have deliberately used a bit of designed in bass boost to make normal low quality speakers sound better and thus sell more Yams.
HEHE, i found that Safety Earth are the third wire coming from the mains
and your smiling after discovering that fact "today". You should be ashamed of your self.

AndrewT said:
Hi Sam,
there is no reason to accept poor bass from your chipamp.
However, the Yam may have deliberately used a bit of designed in bass boost to make normal low quality speakers sound better and thus sell more Yams. and your smiling after discovering that fact "today". You should be ashamed of your self.

Now the bass are better, much better, i think that are OK for the amp. but the high freqs are really great.!

As i dont have any metal component in this amp (just the speaker connectors, RCA connectors, and Heatsink, i need to use the Safety Earth?

if i need to use it, this is OK, right?

"
Parts:
10 ohm, 5w or better wirewound resistor (like used in speakers).
pair of diodes
100nF (0.1uF) cap

Assembly:
Turn one of the diodes backwards to the other.
Put all of the parts in parallel with each other.
Connect safety earth on one side of this unit.
Connect power star ground (wood or plastic enclosure) or chassis ground (metal enclosure) to the other side of this unit.
"

samsagaz said:

Now the bass are better, much better, i think that are OK for the amp. but the high freqs are really great.!

As i dont have any metal component in this amp (just the speaker connectors, RCA connectors, and Heatsink, i need to use the Safety Earth?

if i need to use it, this is OK, right?

"
Parts:
10 ohm, 5w or better wirewound resistor (like used in speakers).
pair of diodes
100nF (0.1uF) cap

Assembly:
Turn one of the diodes backwards to the other.

Hi eketehe,
Technically if there are any extraneous or exposed conductive parts then these will need to be 'bonded' to earth
Thanks
Gareth
Put all of the parts in parallel with each other.
Connect safety earth on one side of this unit.
Connect power star ground (wood or plastic enclosure) or chassis ground (metal enclosure) to the other side of this unit.
"

AndrewT said:
Gareth,
before I start writing a book in answer (and I don't intend starting it) to your question, I'll ask one more of you.

Do you know how a mains fuse ruptures when a mains fault develops inside mains powered equipment?

Hi £Andrew,
Well after installing somewhere in the region of £200 million pounds worth of single and three phase equipment all across the UK and in some parts of Europe, I sincerely hope that I know how a fuse ruptures ! Otherwise there would be lots of dead people filling up our cemeteries.

So could you explain to me how a fuse ruptures?

Thanks
Gareth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.