How to get "Radio Sound" on the GC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to get "Radio Sound" on the GC

I used to listen to small FM radio stations a lot. They do something to the sound that makes it sound really compressed, in fact I was sometimes disappointed when I bought cds because it didn't sound as powerful as on the radio.

I'd like to be able to get that sound on my amplifier at the flick of a switch, and no, without installing a radio :-)

What kind of circuits are involved, and how do you integrate them? Compressors, limiters, expanders, I'm not sure what the difference is.

I'm really interested if any of you have other effects installed on your amps
Old 1st May 2008, 06:11 PM   #2
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member

http://masterdigital.com/24bit/radioprocess.htm
Old 1st May 2008, 10:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks, interesting link.
"the CD loudness wars" ....so much fighting in the world...
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:31 AM   #4
WJMIII is offline WJMIII  United States
diyAudio Member

That is one of the oddest requests I have ever heard - most people I know HATE the way radio processing destroys recordings

I have worked in radio for 25 years, and the way we beat and bash music signals before transmission makes my ears hurt
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know, I just like that compressed sound, maybe it's because I play the guitar. I like it when the soft parts are lifted up to maximum level and the way the instruments are mashed together to form a wall of sound. I sometimes run songs through software with effects and resave them but it would be easier to just hit a switch on the amp.
Old 5th May 2008, 10:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sure! Plug an Audiovox VR1 into your tape loop (dpdt on/on switch). That thing is wonderful for TV commercials so they can't suddenly blast. It takes running signal through it, about overnight, before it runs in. Then it works nicely.

Maybe, you're after the "sound branding" effects of your favorite radio station? The Audiovox VR1 and the economical RadioShack PA equalizer combined--those could get close to re-creating the "branded" radio sound.

Or, maybe there's either distortion or distraction in your current audio setup so that transparency is hindered? That could make the quieter sounds vanish. For instance, even a frequency response issue could distract and creat something "hard to hear over." A misbehaving capacitor could do the same thing, usually by adding some unpleasant mids or a lot of midbass noises (even worse when one is used as a "cure" for the other. So, do check that out.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:01 PM   #7
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Try to get hold on a used Orban Optimod. Those are used in many radio stations.
Old 6th May 2008, 04:54 PM   #8
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: How to get "Radio Sound" on the GC

Quote:
Originally posted by vinnyvintage
Compressors
Find a software program that can do compression, run your recordings through the compressor, and encode them into low bitrate mp3s. Viola, you have radio station quality material. You could also try summing the stereo tracks into mono for that "wall of sound" effect.
Old 6th May 2008, 05:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm building this compressor from the tonepad site. It's made for guitar though, so I'm not sure if it will deliver what I'm after. I don't want a distorted sound. Its a 2"x 2" pcb (mono) so it will fit.

Ross compressor

Hide this!Advertise here!