Subwoofer Amp ~1500W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can some one please elaborate on this point ...

Even im lookin for such a thing

How exactly do u add a descrete output stage to an Opamp circuit .... are there any kind of example circuits ....

Or incase of opa541/549 or lm3875 ... can u recommend such a circuit ...

TheMG said:
RMS rating or peak/music?

Either way, I don't think any chip-amp solution is going to work for those power levels. The closest thing would probably be a driver chip (such as the LME* series) with a discrete output stage.

The LME chips are cool. I'm trying to get some.

For 1500W :eek: I'd recommend 15 pairs of NJL4281/4302 with another two pairs in parallel of those for drivers. You can use the extra thermal diodes for protection circuits.

That way you have the simple reliability of the IC chip, with the heavy-duty drive of the transistors.

Remember a 1500 watt amp is going to need to be on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. The 1500 watt amps at diyaudio will draw more then their rated power from the wall plug unlike magical commercial amps that somehow output 1500 watts while only drawing 500 from the wall.

It's important to remember amplifier RMS power rating is normally obtained with a pure sine wave (usually a 1kHz tone). Amplifiers driven hard with actual music never ever reach their full RMS power output.

And that is where Class D comes in handy. Under normal use (ie: music, not sine waves) the amplifier will likely never draw close it's rated output power, a class AB might draw up to it's rated power but rarely more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.