Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner? - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2008, 12:41 PM   #311
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are KBPC one piece rectifiers as good as building the rectifier with MUR680s, whcih what everyone seem to recommend?
A typical question answered here .
Old 17th May 2008, 02:29 PM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Sanchez

Dan,

Many thanks for your comments.

My local supplier sells the KPBC rectifiers but not the KPBC1004. Here is the list of what they have: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?..._list_35_AQ98G

Could you tell me if I can use another model?

Are KBPC one piece rectifiers as good as building the rectifier with MUR680s, whcih what everyone seem to recommend?

Regards

Antonio

Oh you're welcome.

On that list, the KBPC1005 will be the most clearly marked of the suitable 1-piece rectifiers.
Old 17th May 2008, 04:13 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
no,
not everyone recommends.
Many builders use the normal commercial rectifier bridges available in ratings from 1A to 35A.
Hi Andrew! Thanks so much for your help. I have a diode question. I kept trying, and trying to fix my tuner, without much luck. Finally I got it up to 3 somewhat clear stations and one slightly staticy. After I replaced my MUR860's (with a bloc rectifier), now my tuner gets 36 FM stereo stations instead. What a nice surprise!! Was there something extra I should have done to help the MUR860's? Well, I got that thing fixed, but now I'm curious.
Old 18th May 2008, 01:15 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

A typical question answered here .
Thanks Nuuk,

I just keep going back to your site for well explained answers and I have to say that in fact your page has virtually everything one needs to now to build basic or complex gainclones, and much more...

Your site is a tremendous effort which is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Antonio
Old 18th May 2008, 02:37 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

Do you have a "Dual Secondaries" transformer?

This has four wires output instead of the simple 3 of the center tap.

I've worked for something simple, because the usual hookup method (eight seperate diodes) for a Dual Secondaries is confounding to the eye.

Not anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rectifier-dual 001.jpg (48.9 KB, 334 views)
Old 18th May 2008, 03:46 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danielwritesbac
By request, here it is:

Beginner's Gainclone with
LM1875. . .

Here's the thread for it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...postid=1513046

The LM1875's easier hookup should go quite well. Let's find out.
Old 18th May 2008, 10:34 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you

I am an audio beginner, few months registered at diyaudio, and I want to thank you all partecipants to this thread and in particular Daniel and Peter for they new threads on step-by-step building of a chipamp and Decibel Dungeon for its web-page dedicated to gainclone full of information.

I am waiting for the kit I ordered at Audiosector (Peter has been very kind and he gave for free the pcbs as promised to the partecipant at this thread).

My contribution can be the feedback from a genuine audio beginner. Unlikely in this period I do not have sufficient free time, so my progress will be very slow.

Thank you again

Northernsky
Old 19th May 2008, 10:19 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

Hello again,

I will have the PSU in a separate box and will be using two transformers and have been looking for a way to be able to easily connect/disconnect the electrical cables between the boxes. Could anyone help me with the name/type of connectors used for this purpose ( a sort of screwable multicoaxial chassis mounted female/male connectors. I have looked on the internet and have not found a clear answer and in Maplin (the UK Radio Shack) they told me to use aerial connectors assuring me that they can handle electricity as well (but this sounds dodgy in principle).

Many thanks

Antonio
Old 20th May 2008, 12:05 AM   #319
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I assume that you will be using a dual mono PSU and I suggest using two switches to enable you to turn each channel on and off separately. And I suggest two umbilical cables too so each each one will have four or five wires in.

I have used Farnell Order Code: 1077724/1077728 in the past although you are limited to smaller sized wires. Order Code: 3841157/3840876 look to take larger wires but I have not used them myself. Basically you need to search for a multipole plug and socket.

You only need to have an earth wire in one of the umbilicals unless you use separate amp cases too.

Use flying leads from the PSU case(s) with a suitable sized cable gland to hold the umbilical securely.
Old 20th May 2008, 04:38 AM   #320
mlwebb is offline mlwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

re power cable connectors. I have been contemplating the same thing - dual mono amps, connected to a box with two transformers, four bridges, V+,V-, and two grounds to each amp (twisted paired and shielded preferred). I looking at Peter D., and Mick F. examples, and am thinking of using 4 pin Neutrik (male cable NC4MXB, female panel NC4FP-1-B, etc - percyaudio.com, Mouser) Use female panel mount for output, male panel mount for input (safer). Another connector I noticed was from a Peter Daniels amp bom, Mode Elect #25-734-0 and #25-734-0, less expensive than Neutriks). I think I'll hard wire the amp end, with strain relief, and just use connectors at the ps, just to save a few dollars, and eliminate a connector.
regards,
Michael

Hide this!Advertise here!