Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner? - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2008, 09:29 AM   #281
diyAudio Member

Here's a handfull of fun:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power amp handfull.jpg (76.5 KB, 502 views)
Old 13th May 2008, 02:48 AM   #282
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

As soon as people receive the boards, I will start a new thread, something like "Commercial complete GC kit - building instructions" with all the info needed to successfully assemble a working amp, and all newbee comments will be welcome.

Peter, I received the classic GC kit today, I will be looking forward to "building instructions for a complete NEWBIE..."

I am hopeful the new thread will have minimal schematic but truely a beginner's guide with lots of pictures. I know how to solder but can not read schematics at all...

gychang
Old 13th May 2008, 03:04 AM   #283
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Great, I will open a new thread tomorrow. Any suggestions what to start with?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th May 2008, 04:51 AM   #284
diyAudio Member

May I suggest the rectifier board?
More than half the efforts on this thread are Q&A on how to plug in the amplifier, with much less questions on the amplifier itself.

I think its good to start with that because it can be puzzling, and because the rectifier board is quite durable--better for first time soldering on that part (practice) than on the amplifier board.

So, after getting a way to plug in the amplifier, thoroughly explained, and after some practice on putting it together, and after checkout with a voltmeter, most people will be "home free," as in well on their way to an amplifier.

After that, keeping the DC out of the speakers.

And finally, putting the amplifier into the enclosure to finish up.
Old 13th May 2008, 05:07 AM   #285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great, I will open a new thread tomorrow. Any suggestions what to start with?
Once apon a time....

Old 13th May 2008, 01:27 PM   #286
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

...... ' with what to start with'.

Dan says the rectifier board. Newbees have no idea what a rectifier board is.

May I suggest a simple explanation of what a gainclone is followed by a glossary of nomenclature?

Bluto
Old 13th May 2008, 01:30 PM   #287
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter -

Mine came as well. Thanks.

I plugged it in and it doesn't work. What did I do wrong?

.... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bluto
Old 13th May 2008, 01:31 PM   #288
jrebman is offline jrebman  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking that it might be helpful to describe the basic component building blocks -- both what they look like on a schematic and what the actual physical devices look like, how to orient them, etc. This would allow people to start with the usual first steps of inventorying parts, etc.

-- Jim
Old 13th May 2008, 03:31 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:

So how about this: I will send free of charge LM3875 PCBs to all the guys in this thread with a 'Newbee' challenge and then start a new thread, where step by step, with proper pictures will explain how to build a complete amp, using basic and readily available materials?
I started a new thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...49#post1508749
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th May 2008, 02:02 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

By request, here it is:

Beginner's Gainclone with
LM1875, LM3875, LM3886, all on nearly identical circuits, and all as simply as possible.

No copying--this is a new design.
No PCB to ship--this design works quite well on phenolic veroboard or eboard, available anywhere.
No brand or price specific components--the design is "hardened" against component variety, so you can use available parts.

Yes, it has general compatibility with sources and speakers for the expected good results, regardless of speaker and source varieties.
Yes, its very low cost.
Yes, its easy, and its ready.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluto
From there he can make the thing simple enough for us newbees to build with limited instruction.
Yes indeed!

To do this, I need to split up the topic into:
1). Amplifier (LM1875, LM3875, and LM3886)
2). Power
3). Chassis
And, each on its own seperate thread.

Starting off with LM3875, here's the thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...postid=1509662

Hide this!Advertise here!