Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner? - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2008, 05:51 PM   #221
jrebman is offline jrebman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PD's novice amp challenge -- a twist

Peter,

I would like to be part of this chip amp "challenge" build, and plan to buy a 3874 kit from you - i.e., not asking you to send me the boards gratis.

I mostly want to participate in the documentation of the build, but add the perspective of a totally blind builder. Note that I do have experience as my training is as an EE and my days as a hobbyist go back to the late 60s. What I think I can contribute is a perspective that requires verbal explanations to supplement all the pictures and graphs. This greatly helps the verbal/auditory learners as well as the visual ones, and if my classroom experience from grad school is any indication, both modalities complement each other and people generally learn quicker and deeper.

What this will mean is that I will be prompting you and others for verbal descriptions of things like components, wire dressing, wire colors, PCB features and orientation, and whatever else might be needed to make the sconstruction steps perfectly clear from a written perspective. I will also attempt to interpret these descriptions and rewrite and/or edit for clarity.

If this sounds acceptable to you, just give me the word and I'm in. This may turn out to be the first guide of it's type.

-- Jim

P.S. -- Do I pay the international shipping rate in the U.S.?
Old 4th May 2008, 05:55 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi Jim, that's a great idea and I'm all in.

For U.S. orders, Canadian shipping appplies.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th May 2008, 06:06 PM   #223
jrebman is offline jrebman  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Excellent! I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time, and I'll end up with a nice amp too. I've done this sort of thing working with an assistant to help me label things and orient and mark the PC board (which I will also do here), but I want to see how this works via a virtual medium.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 4th May 2008, 06:34 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Peter, just putting this one together for a mate so I was going to photograph it. It took six days from ordering it to delivery in England, damn fine service in anyones book.

I've got this far but since the man himself is on side.....

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sender.jpg (45.5 KB, 526 views)
Old 4th May 2008, 09:33 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Hi John.

The first thing that I would do is to ask the friend (whom you're building this for) this question:

Do you know if your music source outputs DC?

If that's the case, or whenever we don't know, then there's something we need to do for loudspeaker preservation.
Old 4th May 2008, 09:50 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danielwritesbac
Hi John.

The first thing that I would do is to ask the friend (whom you're building this for) this question:

Do you know if your music source outputs DC?

If that's the case, or whenever we don't know, then there's something we need to do for loudspeaker preservation.
Hi Dan,

I there any way to test a source, with a multimeter, for example, in order to know if it outputs DC?

Thanks
Old 4th May 2008, 10:36 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

A related, but more important safety concern, is personal safety.

Please look up the "light bulb test" unit. And please follow "safety earth" grounding discussions of Mr. AndrewT.
EDIT: Use the search feature here at diyaudio.com.

In the U.S., an unsafe home wiring situation is whenever a 20 amp circuit breaker (at your breaker box) is combined with 14ga wire. However, a similar scenerio is commonplace in other countries.
If you don't know, then assume its unsafe.
In this scenerio, the neutral can fail or falter, leaving the amplifier hott with voltage while the other nearby components are still grounded. When in doubt, its important to use the "safety earth" to ground the amplifier.

Also, look up "ground loop breaker" and its usage.

This scenerio is why I prefer wooden enclosures--not a substitute, but does decrease the risk of completing a circuit with your fingers.
EDIT: With a wooden amplifier enclosure, then the amplifier can be grounded, without grounding its owner.
EDIT2: Since the wooden enclosure helps avoid confusion, then my position is to use safety earth grounding, with the ground loop breaker, and do so inside a wooden enclosure.

Now, if you have absolutely no idea what any of this means, go and purchase a "carpenter's power stick with circuit breaker" from your local hardware store. This has the obvious little button circuit breaker (an additional little round button--not just a power switch). This type is for carpenters safety with power tools, and its from the hardware store. Also, its not a substitute, but it will help with safety. You can use one on your hifi system and use one at your workbench.

Things to look up:
Safety earth grounding
ground loop breaker
carpenter's power stick with onboard circuit breaker
light bulb based test unit
*all of the above
Old 4th May 2008, 10:40 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Sanchez
Hi Dan,
Is there any way to test a source, with a multimeter, for example, in order to know if it outputs DC?
Thanks
That works quite well until you plug in a different music source.
Old 4th May 2008, 11:31 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The first thing that I would do is to ask the friend (whom you're building this for) this question
There really would be very little point. If he knew the answer to that he would be nerdy enough to build his own chipamp. And what's the point of needless questioning? It only takes up valuable building time.

I trust CarlosFM not to steer me wrong. There are some people you don't need to question, just to trust their expertise.

John
Old 4th May 2008, 11:34 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danielwritesbac

That works quite well until you plug in a different music source.
Dan,
I am talking about a preamp, so different music sources are not an issue What I am not sure about is if it is possible and, if yes, how to test if the source is inputing DC current using a multimeter.
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!